how do I test relay or circuit board

Apr 4, 2012
I have a Hayward Goldline Aqualogic salt system and I can't get the pump to turn off (except for by tripping the breaker), lights to come on in the pool or spa, or the blower motor for the spa jets to come on. Called Hayward and they said it could be the relay or even the circuit board but of course wouldn't tell me how to check either. Any input would be greatly appreciated!!

thx
Seth

It's tough to tell people how to troubleshoot sensitive and potentially dangerous electrical equipment. One can't really teach enough electronics to become a fluent troubleshooter via phone conversation or internet text. It would likely involve pulling the board and performing some tests with a volt meter while it is powered up, without shorting out components or getting electrocuted, and it would require some knowledge of how that system operates as well as general electronic skill.

What's your level of experience with electronic repair?

not fantastic by any means. It seems mostly like it is a/the relay to me because the problem started while the pump was on at night cleaning and nothing else was on, and now the pump is stuck on and none of the other things mentioned earlier will turn on. The only way I can turn the pump off is by flipping the breaker.

When a relay fails, it can stick on or stick off. If all that was wrong was that the pump relay was stuck on that would keep your pump on unless you turned off the breaker, but the other symptoms you describe would not occur. It is not plausible that several relays would get stuck at the same time, so I suspect that there is either a hardware or software problem with the board.

If you haven't already, I would turn off power to the control unit for at least 15 seconds, and then turn it back on and see if that makes any difference. If that has no effect, and you are familiar with AquaLogic programming, the next thing to try would be to do a full factory reset on the board and reprogram your system configuration. However, if the installer originally setup the configuration and you are not familiar with programming the system that might not be such a good idea.

OK, I wasn't sure if all those things were on separate relays or if for some strange reason they'd be on a "master" single relay. What you wrote totally makes sense now. I have done a power kill reset but nothing.... unfortunately the installer did all the original programming and I haven't a clue of how to do that. I'll have the installer come back out and check it. I appreiciate your time, you were very helpful.

THX!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.