thinking about opening!

tltmom

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Aug 5, 2011
Urbana, IL
we will be opening in the next 2 weeks. I'd like to be ready to adjust the water balance, so I'm trying to figure out what supplies I need & about how much. I had a few questions, hopefully not repeating information covered in other posts, but I have been "lurking" and did not see some of this covered.
#1. are test results from the pool water accurate if the pump is not circulating the water? ( I'm thinking you'll say no!)
#2. does CYA stay in the pool over the winter or does it break down?
#3. when do I dewinterize the pool heater? Im asking because I wonder if it would be better to have the water perfect before I run the pool water through it.
#4. I'm pretty sure I will have a high (8.2+) pH, low TA and 0 chlorine to start out with.
I'm assuming I need to adjust pH in a few doses and add baking soda to keep TA above at least 60, then when I'm done with that step, get CYA to 40 or so and follow shock process. I can fine tune salt levels, SWG % and calcium after I get pH and Cl taken care of.
Does this sound like a good plan of attack?
Thank you for all your assistance. You all were awesome help last swim season and I look forward to being"trouble free" this summer.

tltmom said:
#1. are test results from the pool water accurate if the pump is not circulating the water? ( I'm thinking you'll say no!)

Probably not ... better to have circulated water

tltmom said:
#2. does CYA stay in the pool over the winter or does it break down?

Should stay, although there are some reports of it disappearing or converting to ammonia I think.

tltmom said:
#3. when do I dewinterize the pool heater? Im asking because I wonder if it would be better to have the water perfect before I run the pool water through it.

Probably does not matter, but your idea sounds reasonable ... unless there is undesirables in the heater that would benefit from the shock process.

tltmom said:
#4. I'm pretty sure I will have a high (8.2+) pH, low TA and 0 chlorine to start out with.
I'm assuming I need to adjust pH in a few doses and add baking soda to keep TA above at least 60, then when I'm done with that step, get CYA to 40 or so and follow shock process. I can fine tune salt levels, SWG % and calcium after I get pH and Cl taken care of.
Does this sound like a good plan of attack?
Thank you for all your assistance. You all were awesome help last swim season and I look forward to being"trouble free" this summer.

Really need to test what you are starting with. Definitely need to lower pH before shocking. Probably do not need to worry about TA until your are done shocking. Also do not have to add CYA before shocking (especially if you have a little in there already) ... makes the FC levels you have to maintain while shocking lower. When all is clear and passed, then bump up the CYA and adjust salt, SWG and CH, and TA if required.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.