filter sand

If you do replace all the sand, you should take the opportunity to inspect the stand pipe and laterals for damage. Be careful, the laterals can be fairly fragile. If either of those are damaged, sand would get into your pool little by little and it would explain why the sand was low.

The upside is after doing that, you'll know your sand filter is in great shape. You'll be able to put your mind at ease on that an move on the water chemistry.

Bama Rambler said:
The best thing to do at this point is to replace it so you'll know how much is in it.

I really doubt that's the cause of your issues though. You can post a full set of test results once you get it back running and we'll be glad to help you get it straightened out.
I will post test results when i get everything going. Should i just post on this same topic?

hi guys. im back for your help. uncovered pool yesterday (mesh cover) and it is a big mess. green and yucky. algae floating everywhere. anyway, did water test. results are:
fc 0
tc 0
cc 0
ta 50
ch 60
cya could not get a reading. sample was supposed to be cloudy but was as clear as a bell. i know i did it right cause i re-read it.
since it was clear, black not never disappeared.lol
wondering what could be the problem. i also let the water get room temp before i tested. i cant work on it much today, but hopefully tomorrow i can start getting things going. need suggestions on where to start. i figure ph first. but i would like to know why i could not get a reading for my cya :hammer: :hammer:

Machelle said:
hi guys. im back for your help. uncovered pool yesterday (mesh cover) and it is a big mess. green and yucky. algae floating everywhere. anyway, did water test. results are:
fc 0
tc 0
cc 0
ta 50
ch 60
cya could not get a reading. sample was supposed to be cloudy but was as clear as a bell. i know i did it right cause i re-read it.
since it was clear, black not never disappeared.lol
wondering what could be the problem. i also let the water get room temp before i tested. i cant work on it much today, but hopefully tomorrow i can start getting things going. need suggestions on where to start. i figure ph first. but i would like to know why i could not get a reading for my cya :hammer: :hammer:

What is your ph?

Do you feel you should have cya? Have you used dichlor, trichlor, or added cya in the past?

Reading this is probably the best place to start: http://www.troublefreepool.com/turning-your-green-swamp-back-into-a-sparkling-oasis-t4147.html

Which test kit are you using?

I would review the extended test kit directions for cya, then try the test again (with any techniques changes your reading the extended directions might have suggested).

I am suspicious of your test since you should have a ton (my guess would be to much) cya in there due to your trichlor usage.

You should get ph down with muriatic acid, when the kit reads 8.2, it is at it's limit, and could be reading higher.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
ok. Now my spider gasket is shot. water leaking steady stream. I have a w. cooper industries model tm-12-L. can anyone tell me the dimensions? I have looked online. I think it is 1-1/2 valves 5 spoke, d5-3/16 center hole inside d, 3/4 thick, 1/4 top to bottom spike thickness, 3/16 side to side outside ring thickness and 3/16 side to side. Still not 100 percent sure this is the correct size. And does anybody have any suggestions on a good way to get the old gasket off?

I am sorry guys, but I have another question. Since my spider gasket is messed up, I have decided not to put any chemicals in the pool because I figure a lot of it will drain as I run it. Ordered one today. Should have it on or before Monday. In the meantime, I cannot see the bottom of my pool, but I have a lot of leaves on the bottom. I have a leaf grabber. I would have to do it blind tho. I also cannot run my pump much because of the pollen and gunk that fills up my skimmer sock quickly. I am not able to be near the pool during the week except late afternoons. I have been running filter and polaris for about 30 minutes, cleaning them, doing the process over and over till bedtime every afternoon.

My question is, am I right in waiting until I get my spider gasket to start the shock process or even fix my ph? And, am I wasting my time and energy trying to get the leaves off the bottom with the polaris and the leaf grabber?

Getting as much debris out of the pool isn't a waste of time at all. You should do that before you start shocking anyway. Waiting till you can run the pump and filter is a good idea too. You can't shock properly without the pump running. and you really can't do a good job of mixing in the chems without it either.

Thanks Dave!! I guess I'm on the right track. Just makes me mentally tired to look at "the swamp" right now. I have had the pool for 20+ years, but this is first year on BBB. Love all the information and help on here. Still a little mind boggling for me though. Hopefully I can be up and running by Memorial Day. Family likes to come over for a begin the season party.lol

Once you get the pump where you can run it, you can start shocking and if you're vigilent and keep the FC at shock level all the time it will go pretty quickly. It gets really tiring the first few hours but it tends to calm down after that. You'll also need more bleach than you ever imagine! I'd start with about 30 jugs on hand.

Once you're past the shock phase and are on a normal maintenance schedule you'll be pleased at how easy it is.

I am glad I asked about waiting on starting the shock process till I can get my filter running properly. I was thinking along those same lines, but I was getting impatient and want to see another color besides green. I have about 25 jugs of bleach right now. Will get more before I start. I only have Saturdays and Sundays off and work to far away from home to check on it during the day. Do you think 2 days will be enough time for me to get a good start?

If you start Friday evening and keep it up even during the nights as best you can, it'll be a good start. It would be nice to have someone add in the middle of the day but we all have lives outside of the pool and sometimes it's just not possible.

Since your CYA is zero, you'll do yourself a favor by adding enough to get to about 30 ppm as soon as you get the pump running. That'll help keep the sun from killing your FC too quickly.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.