4 in 1 tabs - ok or avoid?

Oct 27, 2011
Orlando, FL
Hello, this is kind of a basic question about pucks. I’ve been using them only when I’m out of town, and when I don’t have too much stabilizer anyways. Otherwise it’s liquid chlorine.

After using my bucket for over two years, Im finally running low. But my local pool store pinch a penny has stopped carrying the regular plain chlorine pucks. Now all they have is four in one. They’re the same price and they’re on sale right now, and I need some more… but should I avoid these? Or is it OK to use despite the additional chemicals in there?

“these 3" chlorine tablets also contain a clarifier, a stain and algae preventer and a de-scaler to help keep your swimming pool in top-notch condition.”

Avoid

Look in the red area just below 4-in-one
You don't need (or want) any of those 4 items.
Also avoid anything with the word Blue or Blu in it.

I cannot find an MSDS for those tabs, but I bet the 6% other ingredients would be listed as "trade secret". Point is, you don't want to add any mystery potions or ingredients to your water. I'd keep searching to try and find some normal trichlor.

If you use one or two of those tablets a year, no big deal. But if you use them weekly, not good.

Home Depot normally has plain PoolTime tablets. Lowes too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.