.3ppm of iron in water.

JoeyV

Jun 3, 2017
Bridgewater new jersey
I have .3ppm of iron in water. I don't know if this is relatively high or low. My water turned green a few weeks back. I did the aa treatment and sequestrant and fixed the color issue. It now seems only my white stairs start to slightly stain. I did a localized aa treatment on them today to remove the stains but now wondering if I'm going to need to either do this on a regular basis, continue to add sequestrant or will partial drain and refill/natural evaporation/refill will remove the rest of the iron in the water. I don't know how it got in the water the first place since I tested my source water (City) and there is no iron in it.

.3 ppm is generally thought of as the beginning of staining levels. (you can attest to that)

The iron is coming from your source and cannot be removed unless you refill from a whole house water softener or change your source.

Doing neither of the above means you will have to keep sequestrants in the pool FOREVER to keep the stains at bay.

Literally nothing else works.

Don't trust the testing. Get a water report from the utility and see if it lists any metals in the water. They have to give you one if you ask for it, and a lot of places have them online.

I looked at a few water reports for your area and it doesn't look like you have iron, but it does say that the area has .3 ppm of copper, so maybe that's your problem.

Sequestrants based on HEDP, phosphonic acid, or phosphonic acid derivatives are the most effective. ProTeam's Metal Magic and Jack's Magic The Pink Stuff (regular), The Blue Stuff (fresh plaster), and The Purple Stuff (salt) are some of the top brand sequestrants. There are also other brands with similar active ingredients, some of which are noticeably less expensive.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Quick question. I added the sequestrant last night along with 1/2 cup of de to sand filter. Staring Psi was around 15. It's now hovering around 19. Since I added both, i think 1psi is attributed from the de but since it went up 3 additional psi, is that normal for sequestrants? Also how long should I let it run like this prior to back washing ?

Thank you. Maybe for another discussion another time. I've read on here that it may be possible to purposely bring the metal out of solution, possibly by raising ph (putting soda ash) directly into skimmer and create clumping so the filter can actually rid the water of the metal itself? I did read that it's not, for lack of better word, reliable and results can vary greatly. But was thinking of attempting maybe next year when opening pool.

Hi all. So i received my test kit the other day and was doing some research on this forum. In regards to the staining discussed above, I followed the instructions pretty well. Did an AA treatment, added more than the recommended amount of HEDP based sequestrant, and am finding that my stairs continue to lightly stain. I've been doing local aa treatments on them and it works immediately but the stains return within a day or two. I decided to test my CH levels and results are between 100-125. I am wondering if the stains are reaccuring due to the low ch level. I believe I read somewhere on this site that low ch levels can stain fiberglass pools and since i think my stairs are fiberglass, maybe this is what is contributing to the staining on the stairs? If the answer is yes, the two or three follow up questions are... 1. Can stains on fiberglass caused by low ch levels be removed with AA just as metals stains? 2. Having a vinyl liner, is it recommended that I raise the CH levels and will it help eliminate the staining on the stairs? Thank you all in advance for your help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.