Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: replacing liner

1. Back To Top    #1

replacing liner

Hi,
    Need feedback on DIY replacement liner. Can we really do it, is it as easy as it sounds??
    Inground, vinyl, 16x32, beaded, approx depth 3 ft to 9 ft.
    Thanks
    Kay
    26,000 Gallons in ground with spa
    SWG
    Jandy equipment

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Can we really do it, is it as easy as it sounds??
    Yes, but I wouldn't call it easy. You'll need plenty of help and you'll probably struggle getting all the wrinkles out of the deep end.

I found two vacuums helped a lot rather than one. I have a large pool and used 8 helpers. Coulda' done it with 5-6 but with eight it went reasonably well. I've done it twice and it was MUCH easier the second time.l

If you do a lot of DIY stuff and you have help, it's well within your capability. Plan on a full morning of pretty hard work.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    Thanks, Duraleigh
    I think we will attempt it. Just didn't want to get into a mess w/ advertising making something impossible, 'easy'!
    Also, they are selling 20 or 28/20 mil liners. What can you tell me about them? I am in Illinois with freezing in the winter.
    Thanks Kay
    26,000 Gallons in ground with spa
    SWG
    Jandy equipment

4. Back To Top    #4

How do you think your sand bottom is? Does it need repair?

IMHO, I would pay to have the liner replaced. I don't like spending money, but in this case, replacing a pool liner, bottom drain, getting the wrinkles out, ground water problems, etc. is a job. Let the people that do it for a living handle it.

Just check on their guarantee.

Like I said, just my opinion.
    Hotrod30

20 X 40 foot vinyl Borates and Salt Pool
    Rolachem Chlorine Feeder
    Hayward 27 inch sand filter with 80 lbs of pea gravel
    Jacuzzi Splash Pak SP55 DE filter in parallel
    Pentair VF3050 pump

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry
    Kay,

I'm not sure about the liner thickness. My thinking is that thicker is better but thicker will be harder to install, too. Someone else may have better advice.

Hotrod brings up a good point. I assumed you had a vermiculite bottom and not sand. I would hesitate a little more if it was a sand bottom.....that requires a little more carefullness.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Kay, welcome to TFP!!

I quite recently responded to a similar situation over at PF here's the link http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=8263

I've installed a lot of liners and should be able to help you with yours - the stuff in the link is just to keep me from having to retype it all, if you have questions not answered there or questions specific to your pool just ask them here and I'll give you my best answer.

Again welcome here and I hope your pool always remains trouble free
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)