Leaf stains and safety covers

Jan 18, 2011
Roseville, CA
OK... I started ignoring the pool when it started getting too cold to swim and now it has gathered a ton of leaves in it. I have cleaned out the leaves but unfortunately, they stained the bottom of the pool. Is there a fairly simple way of removing the stains? I've tried brushing but it didn't do much. I NEED to get a pool cover to keep leaves and other things out of the pool and thinking of a safety cover. I'd like to hear advice from more experienced pool owners on dealing with leaves and stains as well as what to look for in safety covers. I've been to a few websites for safety covers and see so many options from a wide variety of materials and specifications. I don't personally want anyone to walk around on the cover, but would like to make sure that it wouldn't be ruined if it were to accidently happen.

There is an article in Pool School on dealing with stains - in a nutshell, if they are organic (like tannin from leaves) chlorine will lift them - if they are metallic, acid and a sequestriant will alleviate thee problem. I believe you can wait until you open the pool to deal with them.

Tell me a little more about your pool and deck and I'll proffer my take on what you need to look for in a cover.

In the meantime, get some sort of temporary cover on the pool so no more leaves get in and exacerbate the problem, a leaf cover would be a decent choice.

Here is a basic design of our pool...
[center:22mi5iuk]
pool2.png
[/center:22mi5iuk]

As you should hopefully see, it is essentially a rectangle that is 15 feet wide by 30 feet, 6 inches in length, plus the entry stairs are the rounded bit in the shallow end, extending another 3 feet. The pool is surrounded by a stained concrete deck on all sides except the deep-end short wall... The deep-end short wall is tiled and extends up about 2-3 feet to the spa, which I didn't include in this design. The pool is, I believe, a gunite pool.

You've got a 'Roman end' pool and, if i understand it properly, a raised deep end wall. This will require a custom cover - I can tell you how to measure for it, if you want to order your own on-line.

You'll probably also want a cover for the spa. Again, I can help you get the measurements needed to order one.

Installing the covers is another issue. I might be able to talk you through it.

Let me know how you want to deal with this and I'll give you all the 'tips & tricks' I know from installing over 1000 safety covers :cool:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.