Major Inground remodel

jeffjr464 said:
i have a 20x40 pool, same as yours, aggregate, my pool was built in 1956, you quotes are terrifying me!!! i spent 6 hours today powerwashing it, it needs work, now im scared, can i do the concrete work myself?

If and when you get quotes, I'd love to know the prices you get. Your pool is the same water capacity as mine, so I would expect the prices to be similar. I would be interested to see if pool building/renovation is just extremely high cost where I live.

In either case, the housing debacle has taken the decision out of my hands. Our house has lost so much value in the past 5 years that we can't get the financing to do any significant projects, let alone what this was going to cost.

i've also been trying to get quotes for an inground pool remodel. we're in CT, and the pool is over 30yrs old. i've received 4 rough quotes, but it seems like nobody wants to deal with it. it's 15x30 oval. my last quote was for about $17k...but it was far less comprhensive than yours and didn't include any patios. just 2ft stamped concrete around the perimeter.

Our 28 year old pool started its face lift yesterday with a pump out. Next will be the chip out of the old plaster, followed by a Mini Pebble finish. I am also having them add SWG and polish up my waterline and cap tile. Our Sand Filter was new last year, and in floor popups got redone under the lifetime warranty. The remodel is costing me about $7,000 in Arizona. Competition here is pretty fierce.

I'm just wrapping up my pool remodel; there are going to re plaster it with pebble this week. it's about 40 years old and was finished about 10 years ago with plaster which was starting to crack. I live in Northern Ca in Silicon Valley, it's pretty competitive up here but everything is very very expensive because everyone thinks we work at FB or Apple

Here is the breakdown of setup and quotes from 4 different pool remodelers. Hope this helps.

What I got:
20k in ground Pool.
900 Sq Feet of patio

Pool Work:
-Strip old plaster (not sand blast, as all 4 pool remodelers told me the new your new coat is only as good as the last one, they jack hammered for like 2 days removing the old plaster.) $1600-$1800
-Apply - StoneScape minipebble $7600-8000
-Remove and replace 134 lin ft waterline tile $2400-$2900 (Labor only, this includes my raised pool wall, water proofing, etc.
-Remove and replace 45 lin ft of spa tile $810
-Install 62 lin ft of coping. $ 2100-2400 (Labor only, I decided to keep my old coping b/c it was in good shape)
-Install Spa light (Intelibrite 5 LED) $1550-$1850
-Install Sun Ledge 16" Deep with 2 umbrella holes $1200-1800. (Build from cinder block $1100-$1800 shoot with Gunite)

Paver Work:
-Install 900Sq of Belgard pavers. 10k
-Install 50 foot retaining wall above pool. $4000
-Includes Cast concrete caps and $12 lin ft of ledge veneer stone.(Which i didn't use b/c my wife wanted the $30 mosaic glass tile :shock:
I'm regretting letting the paver guys do the wall on the pool side, as they don't know much about working with pools and trying to get out of water proofing the back of the retaining wall and other things the PB recommened so water doesnt leech into my see glass mosaic tiles :grrrr:

[attachment=1:ehrwofth]5-16-2012 12-29-57 AM.jpg[/attachment:ehrwofth]
[attachment=2:ehrwofth]5-16-2012 12-23-19 AM.jpg[/attachment:ehrwofth]
[attachment=0:ehrwofth]5-16-2012 12-38-10 AM.jpg[/attachment:ehrwofth]

So total I’m in for about $35k for pool and patio not including any of the outdoor kitchen you see there that I'm doing myself. Tack on $15k for that just in materials and my bbq equipment. Doing it myself so i figure I'm saving about $10k in labor cost. Thank goodness for 0% Credit cards!

Attachments

• 5-16-2012 12-23-19 AM.jpg
    5-16-2012 12-23-19 AM.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 270
  • 5-16-2012 12-29-57 AM.jpg
    5-16-2012 12-29-57 AM.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 266
  • 5-16-2012 12-38-10 AM.jpg
    5-16-2012 12-38-10 AM.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 265
I'm glad to see that those of you in warmer climates enjoy the benefit of competition. As a last resort, we had the folks from Nature Stone come out to quote us on refinishing the pool deck with that, and then maybe replastering in 1-2 years. The rep from Nature Stone was very honest and candid and told us he wouldn't do the job because the uneven sections of concrete we have would ruin his overlay in a matter of a few years.

It was a difficult decision, but the wife and I have decided to have contractors out to give us quotes on filling the pool in. I loved having the pool, but I can't justify the expense for something that I only get to use 4 months out of the years, tops. :(

I'm sorry you two have come to that decision. Maybe an above ground pool would suit you and your wife's needs without the huge expense of redoing the inground pool?

I'm glad to see that those of you in warmer climates enjoy the benefit of competition. As a last resort, we had the folks from Nature Stone come out to quote us on refinishing the pool deck with that, and then maybe replastering in 1-2 years. The rep from Nature Stone was very honest and candid and told us he wouldn't do the job because the uneven sections of concrete we have would ruin his overlay in a matter of a few years.

It was a difficult decision, but the wife and I have decided to have contractors out to give us quotes on filling the pool in. I loved having the pool, but I can't justify the expense for something that I only get to use 4 months out of the years, tops. :(

did you end up filling in the pool? what was the cost?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.