Great information, just enough to make me really confused :lol:

I am looking for a good fence solution, I have a section that gets sunlight all day (well most of the day) - it is a 6' tall vinyl fence that I would like to mount something on. Given my HOA, putting panels on the roof would take and act of GOD.

Any suggestions on a vertical fence mount system? I would combine the system with a natural gas heater too.

Good question...I'm not sure that any panels are OK to be mounted vertically. Most of what we see around here are the lack plastic mat panels, and I don't think the manufacturers of those products would recommend a vertical installation. That being said, a vertical installation will not be very efficient; think of the sunlight as a "glancing blow" on the panels since the sunlight is coming from above. If you want to get the best performance out of any panel, it needs to be mounted perpendicular to the sunlight.

Another thing to consider: while many HOAs may not like something like solar panels, in many areas (mine, for example) they are not legally permitted to interfere with the construction of any "alternative energy" system that someone wants to use. So, while they may not like it, they may not be able to do anything about it. But, why not just ask them? HOAs get a very bad reputation but there are many that are reasonable.

I just put up two 4x20 Fafco black mat solar panels. All I can say is WOW do they work. I put them up along a fence line as well. My original plan was to mount them at an angle on the fence with PVC. This did not work as the weight of the panels in considerable when full or water ( about 120 LBS).

I have them mounted to a rack built out of 4x4's - 2X4's and hardibacker board. The rack cost as much as the panels but it is built to last. Even at a 45 degree angle the weight of the panel pushes and bows slightly at the bottom. I rigged support ties to the ends to help with this. There is NO WAY you could cheaply mount one of these to a fence vertically, plus as mentioned you loose efficiency. Mounted at an angle this only took up about 4 feet of my yard space.

Whatever effort you have to go through for the panels it will be worth it. With a properly sized unit you can keep the water about 20 degrees above average ambient temp. Yesterday my high was 80 degree and my pool was 87 degree. The savings in gas will rack up quickly.

Thanks for the feedback. I don't plan on mounting them to the fence, but "in front" of the fence so I don't take up too much space. I have a contractor buddy who can build anything (including my basement and hot tub deck) - he will design some sort of structure for the system.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.