2nd times a charm.......No Drain Acid Wash

In this thread it appears the pump is turned off when the acid is added. Is this correct? My understanding is the acid is heavier than water and should be circulated throughout the process. With no heater shouldn’t the pump be fine to circulate 5 gallons of acid in a 14k gallon pool?

I did an acid bath with my pump turned on and didn't have any issues. I also added Jacks Magic Copper & Scale (highly recommend) and it requires you to run the pump. With no heater you should be fine.

how did the bath turn out? Did you experience a rough finish after? Any issues post bath? Any chance to post the process for me to view?

Worked beautifully. In the areas where the water was moving well, I could almost literally watch the stains melt off. I would walk away for 10 minutes and come back to a noticeably darker (blue) plaster.

It definitely removed some plaster, so proceed with caution. There was a lot of dust afterward. It also raised my calcium a lot - expect to have to do a partial drain. I didn't take any pictures - sorry. If you get Jack's Copper, it has instructions on the tub.

Tip: I used a sump pump to point water at the spots that were particularly stained. It helped a lot.

Worked beautifully. In the areas where the water was moving well, I could almost literally watch the stains melt off. I would walk away for 10 minutes and come back to a noticeably darker (blue) plaster.

It definitely removed some plaster, so proceed with caution. There was a lot of dust afterward. It also raised my calcium a lot - expect to have to do a partial drain. I didn't take any pictures - sorry. If you get Jack's Copper, it has instructions on the tub.

Tip: I used a sump pump to point water at the spots that were particularly stained. It helped a lot.

great thank you. I have had my pool for only 14 months but I had a scale breakout and want to remove it. Did you have trouble testing the FC after using #2? I hear the FC locks onto the nitrogen and takes a while to unbind. How did you rest for FC throughout the process?
If I have PH test, FC test, 5 gallons of acid (will have more to lower throughout process as it raises) , enough baking soda to reraise TA, and bleach, metal brush and regular brush, one bottle of blue jacks magic, what else will I need you think?

I was about to drain the pool anyway, so I didn't bother to measure FC. The treatment only took about 5 days.

As I said before, check out Jack's Copper and Scale. It's specifically designed for what you're doing, and it worked like a charm for me. The blue stuff is just a sequestrant - it helps prevent stains but it won't remove them.

I was about to drain the pool anyway, so I didn't bother to measure FC. The treatment only took about 5 days.

As I said before, check out Jack's Copper and Scale. It's specifically designed for what you're doing, and it worked like a charm for me. The blue stuff is just a sequestrant - it helps prevent stains but it won't remove them.
Thank you for the responses so quickly. Yeah I read the instructions for jacks #2 and seems straight forward. My only question is if the hardness level gets over 400, do you just drain to proper level and then refill and keep going or do you have to finish it then until it looks the way you want then drain and refill? I would imagine you would just keep going right so you don’t flush the product away?
I would imagine some plaster will go away as you have outlined. Did you find your surface to be etiched or rough in places? So you have a pebble pool? We do.
Just curious. How many times did you brush in the 5 day span and we’re you home each day all day or did you work? I’m planning on waiting until the fall as that would be almost twos years after build and in FL we we are the heat in the summer is 100s with a bunch of rain so I’d rather dilute some of the water now and allow it to have a little less CYA, hardness etc before starting.

You will have to drain if your hardness gets that high, and it probably will. I brushed once a day. I have a quartz finish, and there are definitely a few rough spots. Nothing too bad though. I probably reduced the lifespan of my finish, but it was worth it to get rid of the staining. It was really bad.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.