A blonde decides to build a pool....

Sep 14, 2011
Austin, TX
Yes, I'm the blonde! My husband did think my pool idea was a joke at first. My husband and I have lived in our home in Austin, TX for about six years now, and our backyard has always been a little sad. We have a hard time getting any grass to grow there and our dogs like to run around and tear up the little bit that tries to grow (this year NOTHING is growing there due to zero rain). In throwing ideas around I came up with decking and a pool to cover the majority of the main backyard, leaving a bit of yard off to the side for the furkids.

So I started my research and brought the idea up to my husband. He didn't think I was serious...until I found this forum and started talking pool jargon to him...now he's on board with the plan! I'm right in the middle of the bids process, with a few more companies coming out to see the property this week. Our yard is on the small side, so we decided we'd like a pool only instead of the combo pool and spa. It's been interesting to see how different builders envision using the space we have available.

I've been diligently studying the forums here, and have gained a wealth of knowledge. I've taken the lead on interviews with the builders, and I don't think they expect all the more in-depth questions that come out of me when they're giving their presentations. :-D I look forward to sharing our build and decision making with everyone here, and know I will get excellent advice!

Welcome to TFP. With the knowledge gained from this site your PB will have to work very hard to please you as you will be informed of the process and equipment.

Don't worry about a small space or pool. In many respects I think smaller is better.

One thing is for sure, a pool is a big expense. I prefer to set the conditions to make the swim season as long a possible.

I would recommend you add solar heating to your set up. In general your pool temp will be about your average ambient air temp. With a properly sized solar unit and cover you can maintain temps 20 degrees above average. Also, as you get some hot summers, solar panels can be ran at night to cool the water if it is to warm as well.

Add a hot tub to the set up and cooler water can become enjoyable too.
We are here to help in any way we can. You will have many questions and get a wide response of good suggestions.

Welcome! Nice to see another Austinite here. Lived there for 20 years myself. I can remember when the FM 620 and US 183 intersection was a four-way blinking yellow light if you can believe that.