Ready to pull the trigger on a new IG pool build...thoughts?

msg73

Sep 22, 2011
First off, I'd like to thank everyone for contributing to such an informative site. After talking to 6 pool builders, I think I'm ready to sign a contract for my new pool. Here is my proposed setup, please let me know what you think and if I should change anything...

22x45 gunite free form IGP (~800sqft)
1/2" rebar 12" on center (for pool and spa)
12" gunite bond beam shell. min 3500psi (for pool and spa)
3 1/2' to 6' depth with about a 100sqft sun shelf at 6" going down to 12" deep
Submerged Bluestone on the sun shelf and pool/spa benches
Diamond Bright finish (can upgrade to Aqua Bright polymer finish by ecoFinish)
Jandy CV580 Cartridge filter
Jandy Stealth 2hp single speed pump (should I go for a 2 speed or upgrade to the FloPro variable speed 2hp pump?)
Jandy Legacy 400k BTU heater
Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWG
Jandy RS8 w/ PDA-PS8 controls
Two Hayward white lights
Two Hayward wide mouth skimmers
Four directional clean water return outlets
Two Hayward anti-vortex main drains with hydrostatic relief valves
Polaris 360 cleaner (any better options?)
All plumbing in SCH 40 PVC (2"-3")
Poolguard pool alarm
SVRS anti entrapment device

18" raised 50sqft spa with spill over
Recirculation filter system - connected to main pool
Two anti vortex drains
One Hayward white light
10 adjustable waterway hydrotherapy jets
2hp air blower w/ water check valve
All valves are Jandy 3 way never lube

Full slab 2" Bluestone coping
Bluestone patio/deck with 1/2" mortar joints (square/rectangular stones)
Patio deck jets (little sprinkler heads installed in the joints to cool and rinse off patio/coping)
6" item 4 compacted sub base
1/2" rebar 3' on center each direction to pool cage
wire welded mesh on 8" centers
4" concrete slab base

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that everything will go smoothly during the build as well as through the upcomming years.

Thanks,
Mike

Re: Ready to pull the trigger on a new IG pool build...thoug

A variable speed pump usually only pays back the extra cost if your electric rates are $0.20/kwh or higher. On the other hand, it is sometimes nice to have a variable speed to be able to dial in exactly the amount of jet action you want in the spa.

Those specs sound fairly good. It is rare to see the builder provide an appropriately large filter like that, which is a good sign about the builder.

It is a little surprising to see an both an SVRS and dual drains. This isn't a problem or anything, it's just that some people consider that overkill (two ways to solve the same problem, and no normal reason to need both on the same pool).

The Polaris 280 is superior to the 380, due to the fact that the 280 is gear driven and the 380 is belt driven. You will spend much time fixing the belt on the 380 IMHO.
Also, why not color changing led lights instead of white?

I don't know what my electric rates are, but it's not cheap here in NJ. I think I'll look to upgrade the pump to at least a 2 speed if not the variable speed to cut down on electric costs. Also, I think the builder is using a separate pump for the spa (assuming that's the 2hp air blower). Therefore, if I want adjustable jets, I would need to get a variable speed pump for the spa.

As for the SVRS, the builder said it wasn't neccessary in NJ but decided to play it safe in case two people happen to be clogging the drains at the same time.

I'm getting the Polaris 360 and not the 380. Is the 360 better? I was also thinking of upgrading to the Polaris 9300. Either way, it's something I can easily change later on. I was considering the colored LED lights but that would be another $2100...not sure if it's worth it.

I'm mostly concerned with making sure my equipment is ok for my pool for ease of maintenance and durability over the years. I don't want to have to change any big ticket items a couple of years down the road.

msg73 said:
I was considering the colored LED lights but that would be another $2100...not sure if it's worth it.

The led lights are great to have and make for a cool light show. However 2100 bucks for that upgrade is just insane. The cost of the lights is not anywhere that much more. I replaced all three of my pool lights for under a grand by myself. When I had a pool company come out they wanted 3 thousand dollars to replace the lights. I bought two from a pool supply company and the spa one from ebay. Took me all of 30 minutes to install the lights.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.