Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can I clean the salt cell?

1. Back To Top    #1

Can I clean the salt cell?

Hi there

As a fairly new pool owner I have tried to absorb as much information as I can. I have already posted questions in another place in the forum and had fantastic replies and great help! So here I am again.

This is in regards to my Questachlor Xtra salt chlorinator. The cell which is made up of 5 plates about 8" long. Looking at the cell
    left to right: on the left is the cap that has the lead coming from the control box which has the timer and salt monitor guage.

Last night I happened to be the near the unit and noticed it was kind of flicking on and off and the salt monitor guage was not steady at Summer but also flicking back and forward. I turned it off and and rotated the two knobs a few times (there is one for amount of salt production and one for self cleaning frequency) and it seemed OK after that.

There is a some white deposit build up on the plate that connects from the cap to the long plates on the right of the end cap. There is none on the one opposite. I've increased the self cleaning frequency by rotating the knob clockwise.

The cell was replaced by the previous owner about a year and half ago.

Do I need to clean the cell somehow? Any suggestions or help much appreciated.

Cheers
    IG Fibreglass 24,000 litres
    Questa Jetstream Hi-Flow Sand Filter
    Questa Questachlor-Xtra self cleaning Salt Chlorinator
    Questa Supa Jetflow 1.0hp pump
    Solar heating
    Questa Hydrosweep automatic pool cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2
    I would look up the manual for that model for specifics, but yes, you should be able to clean the cell with a diluted muratic acid solution.

I could not find that particular model name, but it looks like it might be made by Certikin - if so, this might help:
    http://www.certikin.co.uk/pdf/Certikin- ... inator.doc
    TFP Founder

My Pool: 13K gal IG gunite with 7' spa, Pentair Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Polaris 280 Cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi there

Thanks for that Questa products are manufactured here in Oz but I've scoured the net and come up empty handed. Muriatic acid from my early school days is hydrochloric acid I think.

When you say diluted: how much dilution do you suggest?

And also another question not related to the chlorinator: I have a Super Jetflow pump that has a large inspection cap with a large o ring that seals it to the pump body. I remove that from time to time to clean the filter basket. It's never overtightened and always lubricated with Hydoseal when I replace it.
    I've noticed lately that when the pump stops it spurts out a jet of water from under the lid. I've cleaned it reversed the o ring and resealed it, but it still happening.

Many thanks for your help.

Cheers
    Solar heating

4. Back To Top    #4
    I am not sure about your particular model, but SWG cell plates are commonly cleaned by immersion in a solution made by mixing one part acid into four parts of water.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Hi there

Thanks for those rates. I have HCl here to use for ph control so I'll clean salt cell soon.

Any ideas on the water spurting from the lid of the pump after it shuts off?

Cheers
    Solar heating

6. Back To Top    #6
    sounds like your o ring needs to be replaced. They do wear out after a while so this is a common maintenance task.