Northeast Pool Build

nitrob

Jul 7, 2011
Hi All,

Great site and a wealth of information for potential pool owners (and current pool owners for that matter)

We are finally ready to make some pool decisions and I wanted to get some feedback on two items: #1. an In Floor Cleaning System (Caretaker) and #2. a sun shelf.

We are looking at an in ground gunite free form pool, approx. 16x34 with a 8' deep end. 400k gas heater, Pebbletec, with a variable speed filter.

I know that there is a lot of negative feedback on the in floor systems but I also see a good amount of positive. My goal is to get as "maintenance free" a pool as possible and I originally thought the cost delta on the in floor system over a robot was worth it--but that is up for debate, I guess. (I also really like the added circulation impact of having the in floor system). Just having an internal tussle on whether it makes sense to spend an extra $3k plus on the Caretaker???

Relative to the sun shelf...I know my wife likes the idea but not sure how much "value" it adds to the pool. Again it is another $5k to $6k option and I'd be interested to hear from people who have them on whether they think it is worth it.

It is amazing how you can blow through your budget in no time.....

Awesome review. Being up in New England there are a LOT of trees so I would expect to get a good amount of debris (leaves, grass etc) in the pool--as opposed to your situation there in the desert.

My initial "fascination" with the in floor system revolved around the simplicity/ease of use and the circulation aspects. Our pool is going to be heated and EVERY pool builder we interviewed were very positive on the in floor cleaning systems for efficiency of circulating heated water and chemicals while still being very upbeat about the cleaning aspects. For our application the Caretaker system is coming in just north of $5k.

Based on what I am seeing at TFP it looks like the prices of everything (sun shelves etc) are more $$ here in the Northeast. We met with 3 different pool builders--all highly recommended. Most were pretty close on their pool pricing. A lot of the differentiation were in the extras (coping, patio choices etc).

As with most things, not having an easy time figuring out where to put the $$ to best use.

Well, you know what I would say :)

Having an in-floor system won't circulate chemicals or heat significantly better than any other pool, as long as you have a reasonable number of returns.

I know there are some other members with these systems, some in leafy-er areas than I am. Hopefully they'll stop by and give you their input as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.