When will my pH stop increasing?!?!!

Bart

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 24, 2010
Northern Virginia
I've been using Muriatic Acid to lower my pH all year and it still keeps climbing. I'm going through about a gallon to a gallon and a half per week. It's a new plaster pool (first opened late last fall and then immediately closed) so as far as I can tell, the pH levels creeping up is to be expected, but how long does it typically last?

Will is stabilize before I close the pool for the winter (October)?

Thanks!
Bart

Bart,

If you can post a full set of test results we can help you get a better understanding of where you pool is at.
Finding the sweet spot for your TA level should help slow down the PH move.
Adding Borates to the pool can help slow down PH drift.

Most pools experience a rise in PH over time and is usually countered by adding muriatic acid (MA) as you are doing. Things like aeration can drive PH up faster. Does your pool have water features that bubble or splash water into the pool?

Add your pool information to your signature so we can get an idea of your set-up.

Here's my experience with a new SWG pool. It might give you an idea of what to expect.

My pool was finished in December 2010. I have a spillover spa (but it's the same level as the pool with very little spashing). I'm still adding about one quart of MA every other day. My pH goes from 7.8 prior to adding the MA to 7.2 after I add the MA. It's been this way for about 4 months. In the first couple of months after the build the MA usage was huge.

Based on the advice here I've been trying to lower my TA and it's down to 60 right now and pH is still rising as described above. With the drought here in SE Texas and the constant refilling of about an inch of water (my tap water is in the 200 TA range, IIRC) every 10 days or so it's been very hard to lower my TA below 60. I'm shooting for 50 and I'm hoping that will slow it down.

I'm also hoping to see a slow down after the one year anniversary, but I'm not seeing it yet--but it's better than the first six weeks when I was adding about a 1/2 gallon of MA every day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.