Liquid feeder / ORP control with Aqualogic?

Aug 16, 2011
Pasadena, CA
Would it be in any way possible to do automatic feedback control of liquid chlorine addition (via a metering pump based on a signal from an ORP probe) using the Aqualogic PS-8? Or am I limited to trial and error set-up using a timer function and manual pump flow control (i.e. peristaltic pump speed or tubing/head sizing for fixed speed)? I'm not afraid of programming the Aqualogic, the configuration menus actually are pretty easy to work. I've programmed PLCs for process monitoring and control before.

Thanks for any input (which hopefully I'll translate in to input/output, heheheh).

Cheers,

Eric

I believe that the ORP control part of Hayward's Sense and Dispense equipment is tied to the SWCG part of AquaLogic. I do not believe that you can get it to use relays. The pH part does use the relays.

OK, so nevermind this thread altogether. After lurking around here for a while, becoming a student of BBB, and making manual adustments by eyeball while dumping bleach into the deep end, I realize it's not that hard to maintain decent chemistry. Since I do process engineering all day long at work, designing processes with nothing but automated control loops, I think I was getting carried away dreaming about this pool as if it were a chemical plant... Hey, it's new to me, and I tend to obsess about these kinds of things.

Anyway, I still think that automatic liquid dosing is what I will do eventually, because I need to come up with something for when I'm on vacation or whatever. But now that I've thought it through a little more pragmatically, I'm sure I can be in good shape by putting a little thought into the pump sizing and programming a simple timer in the Aqua Logic. Always good to step back and make sure one is following the KISS principles!

Cheers!

ORP control of FC in a salrt pool is problematic at best. I am currently working a way to measure FC directly and then apply the control to the SWCG. Timer control works on a staedy state basis, however if the pool has a heavy up set (such as a heavy rain/flood) it breaks down.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.