First time pump/filter startup..Do I need to BOND it ?

diyguy said:
dont know your local rules DIYGuy, but in my area that would not pass. The bonding in my area has to be #8 BARE solid copper, and attach to four points around the pool. Also, the equipment would have to be on a raised pad like an A/C unit with 6" bare pad all the way around equipment. I didnt know about the expansion coupling though, learn something new every day

I'm a electrician, and have never heard of a slab for the filter/pump being code required, for an above ground, and I have friends in the trade all over, block is fine around here, I'd like to know what area your in that sounds tough do you have the inspector's general number, also that wire in the photo is #8 and of solid copper, I would be shocked (no pun intended) if your local code, only required a bare wire, sure that's not a misunderstanding of some sorts?.

Gary

Not necessarily a slab, the important part about that being (as the inspector told me) having space all around the equipment so it can be jostled and not fall off the support (or vibrate off). You might be right on some difference for an above ground vs inground though I dont see why it would be different. I was going over plans with the inspectors for an inground.

Just repeating what the inspectors told me to try to help anyone avoid a BS rejection over nits.

I am in the BR, La area covered by their inspectors.

all that said, whats said in the meetings and what is enforced in the field seem to be to completely unrelated things, as most inspections I have had the inspector was not in any way a nitpicker, and unless something was blatantly unsafe they said "fix that" and passed anyway.

Bama Rambler said:
Having said that, if the inspector wants you to bond your AGP in four places around the wall, don't argue. That's one of those win the battle, lose the war deals.

Heard that. I have benefited and NOT benefited from the vagaries of an inspectors whims. My structural guy got a hair up his butt about crossmembers on attic rafters being 1" too low. it was a question of where to measure from. I didnt argue, just re-did em.

Strike that. I was reading conductive pool shells section and it states that a vinyl liner pool isn't considered conductive. However the metal wall is considered metallic components and must be bonded

Bonding of above ground pools as shown in the photo, is required code here in tri state
area, the pool liner may be non conductive, but the frame is not and needs it.

The OP stated his local code required a bare only, not coated wire,, I never heard of that,
also he added the above ground pool pump needs a slab base, that's another thing I never
heard of, block is fine here, although I do think a slab would create a nicer looking installation.
I'm really curious about his local code I'd like double check that with them.

Gary

Not necessarily a slab, the important part about that being (as the inspector told me) having space all around the equipment so it can be jostled and not fall off the support (or vibrate off). You might be right on some difference for an above ground vs inground though I dont see why it would be different. I was going over plans with the inspectors for an inground.

That's what I thought, requiring a slab would turn that job into days, there is a big difference between
in ground and above ground installations, both in building and electrical permits. for the record filters
on 3 patio blocks are going nowhere. if worried about that, one could just drill a small hole under the
coupling and drive a thin spike down, a slab is way over kill for a basic installation.

Gary

wow guys. Just to run the electric (about 40 feet from my house) and bond the pool I have gotten quotes from 700 to $1700.00 ...nuts. The guy who was 1700 swears that the bonding has to go around the pool and attach in four places. He even gave me the number of the local inspector to call to verify. Blah..I am NOT paying anyone 1700.00 to do the bonding and electric. I will have one of the less expensive ones do it.

If your pool is installed and operational, Remember you will also need not just a electrical but building permit as well?
also, if so, have an explanation on hand as to why the initial install didn't already have them.

I know of no Electrician who would run that without permits, but times are tough you never know, I certainly wouldn't.
the money made, would not even come close to the money lost should a license get snatched, God Forbid should any
accident, slip etc ever happen around that Pool, the first thing any Lawyer will look for is permits on file.

Gary

diyguy said:
The OP stated his local code required a bare only, not coated wire,, I never heard of that,
also he added the above ground pool pump needs a slab base, that's another thing I never
heard of, block is fine here, although I do think a slab would create a nicer looking installation.
I'm really curious about his local code I'd like double check that with them.

Gary

You got posts confused... I am not the original poster.

diyguy said:
wow guys. Just to run the electric (about 40 feet from my house) and bond the pool I have gotten quotes from 700 to $1700.00 ...nuts. The guy who was 1700 swears that the bonding has to go around the pool and attach in four places. He even gave me the number of the local inspector to call to verify. Blah..I am NOT paying anyone 1700.00 to do the bonding and electric. I will have one of the less expensive ones do it.

If your pool is installed and operational, Remember you will also need not just a electrical but building permit as well?
also, if so, have an explanation on hand as to why the initial install didn't already have them.

I know of no Electrician who would run that without permits, but times are tough you never know, I certainly wouldn't.
the money made, would not even come close to the money lost should a license get snatched, God Forbid should any
accident, slip etc ever happen around that Pool, the first thing any Lawyer will look for is permits on file.

Gary
Not quite understanding your reply. You do not need a "building" permit for a pool. There is a pool and an electrical permit. I have them both.

I know for my in ground I got a general building permit for the accessory structure ("the pool") a plumbing permit, and an electrical permit. In my locality, gas work has to be performed by a licensed plumber, so they pull a permit for that, and handle that part separately and that's it.

Not sure of the differences for an above ground pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.