Chlorine question

tkutch said:
Now I am more confused...I double check my numbers and was wrong. And then I checked my water again this number and it says what my numbers have said...
PH8.0
CYA-45-50
FC1.5 I think this is due to the shock added last night 4 cups to 17000 gallon pool
TA-120
CH-340
Phospates- 300
Are you sure of that pool volume number?

When the pool was built last year it was a lagoon or free form style. the builder told me it was between 17000 and 18000. He told me to go by 17,000 though. Here are the specs..36' long by 22' wide. the depths are 3.5-4-5. We have a beach entry that takes of course is shallow. The reason why he said this range is because of the entry was added last minute, and we added 3ft in length. Then you add the lagoon style.

This thread has become very unfocused. I would like OP to post back and state what you are trying to accomplish.
How does your water look? Are you simply trying to maintain a chlorine residual as indicated in your first post.

Let's get a valid set of test results (I think we have that NOW), let's get OFF CSI, (that's really not relevant) and let's find out the goal of OP.....which I think is to maintain a chlorine residual but I want to hear that and I want to hear how your water looks.

Yes I am back with the original problem. I cant keep a FC count. I have small amounts (spots) of g algea. I posted my tests from today on previous post. Water looks a little cloudy only because of the bleach added today. Since you saw the numbers earlier today I put 1 big bottle of bleach to raise my numbers (I think the size was 190something oz). Should I just raise numbers to proper levels or shock levels? I got this number based on my results of previous post or results with the pool calculator but that was based on normal level and not shock.

Also dealing with bleach how long does it take to take effect or retest (30 min?) Should I add all recommended levels at once or build up to the amount? (ex 1 bottle now and 1 bottle an hour later if it asks for 2 bottles?)

You need to shock your pool. The only correct way to do that is by following the procedure outlined in the articel in Pool School entitled, oddly enough :lol: , "How to Shock your Pool".

Prior to starting that process, I also suggest you read the ABC's of Pool water chemistry" as you have some misconceptions and that article may help clear some things up.

Now I am more confused...I double check my numbers and was wrong. And then I checked my water again this number and it says what my numbers have said...
Please post carefully....I don't understand what you mean.

So, let's assume those last numbers are valid test results.....

1. Lower your pH down to 7.4 using muriatic acid. test your pH one hour after the addition and post the results.

2. Buy about 12-15 large jugs of Clorox bleach....you will need it.

3. Read the articles above and let us know you have read them when you post back your pH test results.

4. We''ll go from there when you post back.

My apologies. It does sound confusing when I looked back over it. Ok these were my numbers this morning...
PH8.0
CYA-45-50
FC1.5 I think this is due to the shock added last night 4 cups to 17000 gallon pool
TA-120
CH-340
Phospates- 300

I since have dropped the PH to 7.2 using MAcid.
The FC is currently 2 from results above. I added 1 btl of bleach (182 floz). I would think with 1 bottle it would have increased more but this may be due to losing FC throughout day.

As for what did I use to test? Leslies test kit that is linked in the school forum.

What do I need to do now?

1. Buy about 12-15 large jugs of Clorox bleach....you will need it.

2. Read the articles above.

3. Let's start the shock process. Initially you will need to add enough Clorox to get to 20ppm. Do you know how to use the pool calculator?

Tomorrow I have a pool party with kids at our house. Should I start this after they leave or do it tonight?
Your call. putting in about 10ppm of FC prior to the party would be a good idea so it stays sanitary. Then, you could test after they leave and start the process.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
There is no real advantage to bringing it to 20ppm tonight. You will interrupt the process if you let it go below 20 at ANY TIME.

In other words, once at twenty you keep it at twenty...Please read the article in Pool School.

I have read it but guess I missed understood it. My question is about this part...
CC is 0.5 or lower;
An overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less;
And the water is clear.
So when you shock the pool you get your FC level to 20ppm and keep it for over night and see if it drops less than 1? so this could take days or whats normal?

Also what good will the 10FC do for the party? I guess my question is why 10 and not 3 and save the bleach for afterwards. Or will getting it to 10 help with getting it to 20 later?

tkutch said:
So when you shock the pool you get your FC level to 20ppm and keep it for over night and see if it drops less than 1? so this could take days or whats normal?
During shocking, you want to keep your FC level always above your minimum shock value (according to the poolcalculator.com it is 16 ppm for your 50 ppm CYA level). As the water clears or after the algae spots disappear, you will do a OCLT as detailed in the shocking instructions. This may take a day, or many days...its different for each pool and each outbreak. When you meet the three criteria you posted, then, and only then are you done shocking. If you stop before you meet all three, the algae may/probably will come back and yo will have to start all over again.

tkutch said:
Also what good will the 10FC do for the party? I guess my question is why 10 and not 3 and save the bleach for afterwards. Or will getting it to 10 help with getting it to 20 later?
Since we know you have algae, I think duraleigh is suggesting you do this to hopefully kill any other organisms that might be in the pool.

So when you shock the pool you get your FC level to 20ppm and keep it for over night and see if it drops less than 1? so this could take days or whats normal? No, you bring shock level to 20 and then HOLD IT THERE CONTINUALLY until you meet the three criteria listed above....it may take several days.

Also what good will the 10FC do for the party? I guess my question is why 10 and not 3 and save the bleach for afterwards. Or will getting it to 10 help with getting it to 20 later? The FC of 10ppm will help sanitize your pool and keep bacteria, fecal matter and pee from becoming a health problem while the pool party is in progress. 3ppm won't cut it based on your history of losing chlorine.

Please read the articles I mentioned above.

Thanks Linen. I will get it to 10 tonight and start shocking after the party. Dura I have been reading the articles you mentioned and was a little confused on that part. My apologies. I actually copied and pasted the info from the article you mentioned.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.