Confused about readings - too much or just rite?

maggiem

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 15, 2008
I have an Aquarite Plus SWG that indicates 2800-3400 salt level is optimal. We added 880 pounds of salt on 13 July for our 24000 gal pool. Salt level readings were 2800 the first few days and now fluctuating between 4100 and 4300 (?). The salt strips test show 3680 consistently. The water does taste a bit salty and I have just noticed some white powdery stuff on the metal of the pool brush; hubby tasted and does not think its salt. Watery is super clear and sparkly. ETA: No "salt too high" warning lights are on the control panel

At present, we have

FC 8
CC 0
TC 8
pH 7.2 (just added MA last night so expect this to bounce back up very soon)
T/A 130 (cannot get this below 110)
CH 320
CYA about 60
Temp 84F

We are coming off a shock level at 20 so this is why FC is so high. Should we keep it there? Also, the SWG is set at 35% now. We run it during the daytime.

At this point we are wondering if we should dump and refill some of the water or let it be.
Thanks for you insight!

Hey Dave, are ya ready for a RV/pool swap yet ? LOL

So according to the PoolCalc. we would need to drain 17% of the pool. Is there faith that the Aquarite Plus reading is correct? How can it go from 4300 to 4100 and bounce around so much? I wonder why the SWG is not throwing any warnings either. We are dreading having to drain that much but of course will do so. Any chance that 17% loss will result in a float of some sort - kinda high water table here.

I was thinking we drain and fill at the same time....can we do that if we attach a hose to the extra faucet on the equip pad? Drain on one end fill on the other. How soon will the SWG reflect the difference?
Thanks!

Guess I'll have to hang on to it a while yet. Don't know where I'd put a second pool :mrgreen:

Salt readings ±400 are considered to be the same. What I'd suggest is to drain a little (maybe 5 or 6%) and then let it run a while. If the swcg is happy at that level and is generating I'd probably leave it alone this year. You're probably going to lose some over the winter and next year will be fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.