Pool out of balance! Pool party this weekend!

Turn the SWG on after you're done shocking. Maintain shock level till you have .5ppm or less CC, loose 1ppm or less chlorine overnight (OCLT), and the water is clear.

When you pass all the above criteria, THEN you will want to raise CYA to 60-80ppm and turn the SWG on. Maintain normal chlorine levels till then.

sprede said:
when you say bring it back up to shock level, do you mean take the chlorine level back up with the bleach? and can i know say tomorrow morning turn on my SWG?
:eek: Yep, I mean raise the FC back up to shock level with bleach.
Also, read this to help you understand the process: pool-school/shocking_your_pool

A SWG needs a higher CYA level and salt. Have you added salt?
You should not increase the CYA level above 30 until you are done shocking.
See red lines in my sig.

Once you are done shocking, you can adjust CYA levels, confirm/adjust salt levels and then use SWG. So, no, do not use SWG yet.

Don't worry about how to chlorinate for now. You can just use bleach until the SWG is up and running.

Ok so shocked the pool accordingly. Yes it does have the proper salt in there now. Will test it here in another 30 min and again in the morning and see where I am at. Thanks you all for all your help TFP!

7am in the morning here and this is what I have to report. The pool water is clear :) and doesn't look like the Cl level has dropped.
Cl - 5
Ph - 7.4
TA - 130

I think I may be done shocking? The CYA is still sitting at zero and it has been over a day since I treated it for that.

sprede said:
7am in the morning here and this is what I have to report. The pool water is clear :) and doesn't look like the Cl level has dropped.
Cl - 5
Ph - 7.4
TA - 130

I think I may be done shocking? The CYA is still sitting at zero and it has been over a day since I treated it for that.
We cannot determine if you are done shocking until you get your TF100 test kit.
You need it to perform the OCLT and FC/CC tests.

You should continue to use bleach to maintain about 5 ppm FC.

An hour or so before the party, raise FC to about 7. After the party, recheck and adjust FC to at least 5.

Maintain about 5FC with bleach until you get your test kit, confirm that you are done shocking, raise the CYA level and then turn on the SWG.

sprede said:
ok sounds good. I will just do what you all have been suggesting till next week. Will post what I find then. Thanks for all your help folks!

Congrats on getting the pool ready for the party! :party: You are well on your way to a TFP! :cool: just remember one day is not enough for the CYA to fully show up. Forget about the CYA till after the party when you have your new test kit, sit back, enjoy the party and listen to the compliments on how great the pool looks. As long as you have enough CYA to keep the Fc up, and it looks like you do, you don't want to add more till you are sure you are finished shocking.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok here are my test results with the new TF-100 which I hope I did right :shock:

Cl - 1
CC - 1
TC - 3
FC - 2
Br - 2
pH - 7.4
T/A - 51
CH - 180
CYA - 0

Ok I think I got it all. The water is just ok clear, still a little cloudy but not to bad. Had to back wash my sand filter so that may have been why.

The first result you post is a little confusing. Was that from the OTO (yellow) test?

What were the results from the FAS-DPD test? First number of drops (turns clear) is the FC, add 5 drops R-0003. It turned pink and then you added how many drops of R-0871 to turn it clear again?

You have at least 1ppm combined chlorine, you do need to shock. But get some CYA into the pool first, add enough to raise it to 30ppm and then shock according to the CYA level that you intended.

sprede said:
Ok here are my test results with the new TF-100 which I hope I did right :shock:

Cl - 1
CC - 1
TC - 3
FC - 2
Br - 2
pH - 7.4
T/A - 51
CH - 180
CYA - 0

Ok I think I got it all. The water is just ok clear, still a little cloudy but not to bad. Had to back wash my sand filter so that may have been why.
Well, shucks.

Okay, first - you ain't done shocking. :cry: So,

1. keep at it and still use the FC shock level of 12. The more often you are able to riase to shock level, the faster it will go.
We are going to assume (as we calculated the other day) that your CYA is around 20ish.
You can increase CYA to about 30 for now (and wait 'til you are completely done shocking to raise it to 70ish for the SWG).

2. How did you get a TA result of 51? Each drop is X 10, so should be in increments of 10.
If you determine that your TA is 50, then go ahead and add enough baking soda to raise TA to about 70.

3. pH is perfect

4. Ignore the bromine/BR on the OTO/pH tester. That is for bromine pools and you are running a chlorine pool.

5. No swimming for now. When CC drops to .5 or lower & pool is clearer (not cloudy to obscure bottom) then okay w/ FC between min and shock level.

Don't know where I got the 1 in 51 from but remember is was 5 drops.

Ok so correct me if I am wrong. According to the calculator I need to add 96oz of bleach to my pool to get to FC 12 and need to keep it that way till when, I guess I am missing something? (must have failed the pool school as I thought I understood it).
21oz of baking soda to bring up the TA

You'll continue maintaining shock level till the following three criteria are met:

1) Combined chlorine (CC) is .5ppm or less
AND
2) Your pool looses 1ppm or less chlorine overnight (OCLT= test after sun is off the pool or sundown and again before the sun hits the pool in the am)
AND
3) The water is clear. (not talking glittery sparkling clear, that comes after all the dead algae is gone but it should be clear enough to see the bottom... clearly).

Re-read pool school, it takes a few times to get it all sunk in. We all had to read and re-read at first :~}

sprede said:
Don't know where I got the 1 in 51 from but remember is was 5 drops.

Ok so correct me if I am wrong. According to the calculator I need to add 96oz of bleach to my pool to get to FC 12 and need to keep it that way till when, I guess I am missing something? (must have failed the pool school as I thought I understood it).
21oz of baking soda to bring up the TA
Yep, your poolcalc doses are correct :goodjob:

And, "until" you are done shocking :) See red lines in my sig. This question gets asked often, hence the lines in my sig :lol:

You could do the OCLT tonight if you have time. Directions: pool-school/overnight_fc_test

btw, good job with your first TF100 test :goodjob:

You'll continue maintaining shock level till the following three criteria are met:

1) Combined chlorine (CC) is .5ppm or less
AND
2) Your pool looses 1ppm or less chlorine overnight (OCLT= test after sun is off the pool or sundown and again before the sun hits the pool in the am)
AND
3) The water is clear. (not talking glittery sparkling clear, that comes after all the dead algae is gone but it should be clear enough to see the bottom... clearly).

Here are my results for this morning. The only things that changed was my TA and PH and I believe that was my fault in putting in to much baking soda. I added some PH minus to the pool which should drop that reading. My water is clear and there is no drop in FC overnight so that means no algae or live material eating it up but my CC is still 1 which is the only thing left to correct to stop shocking.

FC - 13
CC - 1
TC - 14
CL - 7
TA - 210 !!
PH - 7.8

pH Minus won't drop your TA all the way at once unless you add so much the pH goes crazy acidic. Just add enough acid to bring it down to 7.2 or 7.4 each time pH gets up to 7.8 (probably quite often for a while), and the TA will take care of itself over time.

Hello I am back, Here are my results. Now I am thinking leave it like this over night and see if I lose FC and gain CC right? My TA is still high but I can lower PH with minus and then raise it again like the previous posted suggested. My CYA has come up though so what next?

FC - 6
CC - .5
TC - 6.5
TA - 190
PH - 7.4
CL - 4
Br - 8
CYA - 15

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.