Just checking: is 1.5 FC loss every day normal?

May 18, 2011
Kailua, Hawaii
For 2 months now (since joining this forum) I've been following your lead and am happy that chemical balance has been under control and not one day of cloudy water (something that I always struggled with when I had pool guys do it). Water is crystal clear and I get all kinds of compliments from visitors - thank you very much. :party:

I seem to lose about 1.5 ppm of FC every day. CYA is ~35-40 (still have trouble reading this) and other tests are within TFP recommended levels. I really don't mind adding bleach every few days but am curious, is this normal? As you might guess we get a lot of sun here. Should I raise the CYA to 50 ppm...would that help?

Thanks again, I recommended you guys as life savers to a friend the other day. :wave:

the only way I can get down to 1.5 is with the solar cover on. On these hot days with a 105+ heat index I've been losing around 5ppm, but that's also partly because my CYA is 90ish. I try to keep it above 11.5-12, which means I'm taking it up at 17 at night and it's around 12 the next night.

add the fountain running 8-12hrs per day to cool the water and it ends up being 5.5ppm/day loss. :shock:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.