Clear cement for Electrical Conduit?

MajorDIYer

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 23, 2011
Sicklerville, NJ
Is there a clear cement that's for use on gray pvc electrical conduit? I've only ever used the gray cement. My electrician used a clear cement and now I'm a little (lot) worried about leaks. I checked the conduits for leaks after the pool was filled but never pressure tested them. I didn't think much of the cement until recent events.

Long story (sorry, need to vent)... the electrician came late to do the install and was in a hurry to get done. He seemed the type that just wants to do everything his way and didn't want me bothering him. There were a few things I didn't like but figured he's got the experience so I'll let him do his thing. Well, he ran the conduit for the two lights right into my sub panel without junction boxes. I questioned it but he said it was fine if it had duct seal on the ends at the panel. When the inspector saw it he wasn't of like mind. Pool water in the sub panel would be a bad thing, he says. Having paid $2000 for the automation system within, I strongly agreed.

So not even wanting this guy back and figuring I can do it better myself, I decide to add the junction boxes. I'm cutting the conduit behind the one light and I hear a pop sound. Hmm, that's not good. I got it all spliced then took a good look at the fitting at the niche. IT POPPED OUT! It must have given way from the slight torque I put on it while cutting. It had cement (clear) but it didn't cement much less weld as pvc cement should. I glued it up and it seems to be fine now. It's all my conduit to the j-box so no worries about leaks.

But... I have another light. It has about 30' of conduit now buried under gravel and crushed concrete (almost need a jackhammer to dig that stuff up) and I can't put a j-box behind this one because it's in the middle of an open patio area. I'll dig up the niche tomorrow, it's just covered in sand. If I can torque the conduit from the housing easily I'm going to have to rerun about 40' of conduit around the perimeter of the backfill area to where I can put the box.

:grrrr:

Thanks for the replies. It does appear that clear cement is common and no wonder they would use it since much of the electrical work is exposed, on the sides of houses, etc. I just looked at one of the pieces I cut out and the joint with clear cement is solid as can be. Now I'm thinking he just forgot to cement it at the niche and I completely missed it before. Clear cements are nice for looks but darn hard to spot things like that.

I'm going to take a few deep breaths then check the other niche for cement. If it's good then I'll wire them up and relax. I'm not as worried about the 30' that's buried now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.