Serious Algaecide Overdose

JoeIac

Jul 19, 2011
Eastern, MA
I've got a bit of a pool issue that I was hoping someone could help me with.

I got the pool tested on Sunday morning, it was clear and doing pretty well, but not holding chlorine too well.

They recommended stabilizer, alkalinity increaser and hardness increaser. the same stuff we usually have to add when we have had to top the pool off with a significant amount of tap water (we had a tare over the winter and lost about 3000 gallons)

PH was 7.2
Free Chlorine was 3.6
Copper was .2

Alkalinity Hardness and CyA were all pretty low (i dont have the sheet in front of me)
(I ended up purchasing 15 lbs of hardness increaser, 15lbs of alkalinity increaser and 4 lbs of chlorine stabilizer)

So, I purchased the recommended chemicals, and an extra bottle of vinyl pool algaecide, returned home passed the directions off to my dad and drove the 2 hours back to work for the week.

Fast forward to this morning. I got a call that he finished adding all of the chemicals I bought. Including all 32 oz of the algaecide that only required a 2 oz maintenance dose.

So, Is the pool still OK to swim in with an... 18x overdose of copper-based algaecide? Its Life-Line Non-Foaming Algaecide copper based, for vinyl pools. (The local pool store's in-house brand)
Do I need to add a metal / mineral remover and chemically start over to try and recover from this? What is the best course of action?? We're in the northeast (Eastern Massachusetts) and if this week is as hot as they're predicting it will stink to be without a pool, but I told him not to let anyone into the pool until we sort this out.

Thanks for your help!
- JoeIac

You're probably going to turn everybody's hair green but other than that it should be ok to swim in.

The only way to remove copper is to drain a percentage of the water.

P.S. We don't recommend adding algaecide except in very special circumstances.

ok, thanks!

I never usually add algaecide, but the pool felt a little slimy last time I went in it and we had two pool parties in a pretty short span of time, so I figured a small dose wouldn't hurt

Our water is municipal (MWRA) so its pretty high quality, but for every gallon we use we pay for it, and for sewage for it (no pool filling or outdoor watering exceptions - believe me we tried) so it looks like a swim at your hair's own risk sign is in order (joking)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.