SWG and no chlorine or something else.

I'm rapidly running out of DPD powder. Can I just pick some more up at Leslie's or should I order from Taylor to keep with the same brand?

I STILL have those darn cc's.
1pm was 22 FC and .5cc. added 108 oz
4pm was 26 FC and 1 cc. added 54 oz.

I'm getting very frustrated. the pool really does look great now. lots of little "rainbows" on the bottom from the nice clear water. haven't seen that for a LONG time.

my kids want to swim. any idea when they can??

K

KRommel1015 said:
I STILL have those darn cc's.
1pm was 22 FC and .5cc. added 108 oz
4pm was 26 FC and 1 cc. added 54 oz.

I'm getting very frustrated. the pool really does look great now. lots of little "rainbows" on the bottom from the nice clear water. haven't seen that for a LONG time.

my kids want to swim. any idea when they can??

K
It looks/sounds to me like you are close. I'd do another OCLT tonight.

Thanks. Ordered the powder.

I am crossing my bleach-scented fingers that I am nearing the end.
My last two tests are holding at 34.5 FC (I over shot the measurement) but I still have 1 cc in the water.

And I probably will have to back wash tomorrow. I noticed the filter PSI climbing some. Please tell me I can refill and not have start this shock over!!!!

thanks for all the help.

Probably 4 to 5. With most of that today. I frequently have to add water. The pool gets full sun from 9am til 5 or 530. And we usually keep it on the warmer side. If I have to backwash I know I will have to fill. The water level is on the low side of normal for us. If that makes sense.

I have gone as high as ~ 8 psi before backwashing. My clean filter pressure is 15 psi. If you do have to fill, it should be relatively clean, and should not effect your shocking. That has been my experience.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think I have some problems.....Day 5 of shocking

1. I had to backwash last night (pressure went up 8) which led to refilling the pool about 3 inches. It lowered the CYA some...to between 60 and 70 per the test.
The pool lost 10ppm FC overnite (25 to 15). cc is 1 ppm so that's down from 3.5. It also rained some. Not too heavy.

2. I don't have enough powder to get through the weekend. I ordered it but it won't get to me til Monday.

3. I think I have filter issues. Before I left for vacation (end of June) we noticed that there was something "white" coming of out all the returns. Looked a lot like DE. When we got back we took the filter apart, cleaned the grids, resealed the oring and pipe with sealant. No tears in the grids. They looked pretty dirty so we soaked them overnight. Put it all back together. The wate has been sparkly clear for the last few days since I started shocking. Last night I had the pool light on and noticed the "white" stuff again. Only coming from one return....the one closest to the filter. And much better than before but still there. Did the same thing. Took it all apart. Wasn't too bad. Did notice there was somehing "pink" on one of the grids....very small triangular area at the top of one panel. Didn't have any acid to soak but rinsed with hose and it went away. Reassembled. Still have the "stuff" coming from that one return. Could the filter be leaking DE? I do have a multiport valve and i've read some stuff to where that may be the culprit??? And what is that "pink" stuff???

This is day 5 of the shocking process and although the water is sparkling and we have gone over every inch of the pool surface for algae I see no end to this. I'm ok with the process but I can't keep running the pump 24/7. I won't be able to afford the electric bill which will probably exceed $1000 given June's bill. HELP!!

KRommel1015 said:
I think I have some problems.....Day 5 of shocking

1. I had to backwash last night (pressure went up 8) which led to refilling the pool about 3 inches. It lowered the CYA some...to between 60 and 70 per the test.
The pool lost 10ppm FC overnite (25 to 15). cc is 1 ppm so that's down from 3.5. It also rained some. Not too heavy. Sounds like you are getting there. Keep above your shock level! I would stay above 30 ppm as much as possible now (I used the more aggresive http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock for 80 ppm) CYA

2. I don't have enough powder to get through the weekend. I ordered it but it won't get to me til Monday. You may have to do a dilution and test with DPD or OTO until you powder comes

3. I think I have filter issues. Before I left for vacation (end of June) we noticed that there was something "white" coming of out all the returns. Looked a lot like DE. When we got back we took the filter apart, cleaned the grids, resealed the oring and pipe with sealant. No tears in the grids. They looked pretty dirty so we soaked them overnight. Put it all back together. The wate has been sparkly clear for the last few days since I started shocking. Last night I had the pool light on and noticed the "white" stuff again. Only coming from one return....the one closest to the filter. And much better than before but still there. Did the same thing. Took it all apart. Wasn't too bad. Did notice there was somehing "pink" on one of the grids....very small triangular area at the top of one panel. Didn't have any acid to soak but rinsed with hose and it went away. Reassembled. Still have the "stuff" coming from that one return. Could the filter be leaking DE? I do have a multiport valve and i've read some stuff to where that may be the culprit??? And what is that "pink" stuff??? I am not sure on this, I have not worked with DE filters, maybe someone else has ideas here?

This is day 5 of the shocking process and although the water is sparkling and we have gone over every inch of the pool surface for algae I see no end to this. I'm ok with the process but I can't keep running the pump 24/7. I won't be able to afford the electric bill which will probably exceed $1000 given June's bill. HELP!!5 days plus is not unusual for the process, hopefully yours will not take much longer. Again, stay above 30 ppm at all times while you are shocking, and that should keep the process moving as fast as it can.

The overnight readings were bad. Some because of the rain, I hope. But we were down 10 ppm and 1cc again. So, we dove in to scour every inch of the pool. And guess what....we found algae....in the light niche. Scrubbed it out. Here we go again.

Light niche, ladder, any projection into the pool is a place for algae to hide. You'll have to check all the places and clean them. Any places you can't get into you can inject bleach in and around and it'll clear it out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.