I'm thinking she's about to turn green on me

May 14, 2009
Rocket Town, AL
Not trying to thread-jack, but having a similar issue.
Topic split. If there is the slightest chance that you might be hijacking, simply start a new topic. JasonLion

Looking at my pool yesterday, I'm thinking she's about to turn green on me. Quick check confirms there is NO chlorine in my pool. Controller shows no faults/codes. I jack the generator to 100%, wait an hour, and do a check right from the return....no chlorine being produced.

Again, no faults/codes displayed.

I don't have model information in front of me, but hoping you can shed some light as to where/how to start troubleshooting my generator? It's worked flawlessly up until now. I added chlorine manually last night and will continue to until I get this resolved.

Anyone help?

Re: swg not working

down here we find the easiest way to check a swg is working is to remove the cell from the housing, leave the leads connected, get a bucket of your pool water, drop your cell into the bucket and is covered fully by water and switch on your swg, make sure your pump is switched off first, if the cell is working you will see the chlorine gas cloud coming off the plates. if so then your swg is working.

Your SWG is almost certainly just fine and your problem is most likely a problem with your chemical balance. You should post a complete set of water test results. You should also get some chlorine into the pool manually as quickly as possible.

malcolmb5325, hydrogen gas, not chlorine gas. Chlorine gas is produced, but it reacts with the water very quickly and does not make it out of the cell. Only the hydrogen gas, which is also produced, makes it out of the cell.

What is the required salt level for the pool. I know from reading manual for a friend's Jandy Aquapure that it will shut down if salt is low or high. No idea if your is similar.

I do note that you have room to both boost your CYA (to help hold chlorine in sunlight) and to raise the % setting. Check your manual for CYA range, TRP suggestion is 70 - 80, Jandy Aquapure was 85 is sunny Tx and Fla. Not sure if you are south enough to use Fla levels.

Your voltage and current are normal, which supports the idea that the cell is working correctly.

I suspect you have a low level algae problem. The SWG can never quite kill all of the algae, but it does keep it sufficiently in check that you can't see an obvious algae problem. You can confirm this by doing an overnight FC loss test.

Your CYA level is too low for use with a SWG, it should be around 70-80, but I would wait on correcting that until you are sure you don't have algae. Algae is easier to fight at a lower CYA level.

I suspect that rising water temperatures plus the relatively low CYA level let FC get too low and allowed the algae to get a foothold. Even a tiny amount of algae, too little to see, can then drive the FC level to zero even when the SWG is working correctly.

Jason, if that is the case, it's the first time it's happened in the 3 years I have owned the pool. I have 2 decades of pool chemistry experience, but maybe the 4th of July just put too much pressure on my chemistry. I'll treat it as if the SWG is working and continue to treat it as an algae issue.

Thanks for your time,

Ed

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.