Could this pump work for Intex 15x48?

frogabog

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 16, 2010
Portland, Oregon
I found this pump and hot tub heater on craigslist last night. I am going near this area today and for $20... if it would work for us I'm going to pick it up.

It is actually 110v, 3/4 hp, 3400 rpm. He just left a message with details.

I know this is a hot tub heater, but could it possibly be used to heat the pool some? Our pool is cold!

I also know I'd need a sand filter to go with it. Dad has one, I might revisit that if it's not too huge. It holds 200# of sand he said.

Or I'll keep my eye out for a used sand filter on CL. There is one with a pump right now for $75 but if I can get a $10 pump today that works... I'm so doing that instead.

Thoughts?

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/hsh/2474792906.html

edit: pump is actually 3450 rpm. The guy says it might not work for a sand filter. I have to leave in about an hour to go get kids from camp and will be stopping by to see the pump on the way back. TIA for any advice.

If it is really only 3/4 HP, you can use it on an Intex with the correct fittings. It will be a bit much, but should work alright as long as whatever filter you are using can handle the higher flow rate.

The heater will work, but it isn't a good idea. Pools need really dramatic amounts of heat, way more than a spa, and a resistance heater like that will either be no where remotely near enough heat or drink down electricity like there was no tomorrow, depending on what size it actually is.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.