Struggling to Get Clear Water

Jul 5, 2011
I have been reading this site for just over a week and started by ordering the TF-100 test kit.
Below are the results
FC 1
CC .5
TC 1.5
ph 7.8
T/A 170
CH 240
CYA Did not measure so somewhere below 20

Pool is cloudy and will not hold Chlorine.
Based on what I have learned by reading this great site I see two issues with my results but not sure where to start.

I need to Lower T/A and increase CYA but not sure where to start.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm new here too but had the same issue as you a couple weeks ago. Start shocking ASAP till it clears up then worry about TA and CYA. It's easier to shock with low CYA and your TA levels probably won't affect the cloudiness. Get some liquid chlorine or bleach and go to it. If anything like mine, it will be crystal clear in a few days. Just be anal in checking chlorine levels and adding bleach as often as you can.... Especially at night!

Adjust CYA to 30 and begin the shock process as described below

pool-school/shocking_your_pool

Too much CYA (90+) makes shocking a dificult process. CYA at 30 lets you shock at a reasonable FC level (12 or so ppm to reach shock) yet sheild it from UV rays to avoid burning it off to quickly. As mentioned above, raising your FC to shock level in the evening is especially helpful as it will go to work against organics rather than also fighting of chlorine lost to sun exposure.

I starting shocking the pool last week and it seems to hold pretty good overnight but as soon as the sun comes up it is gone. So should I adjust CYA first so I don't loose so much Bleach?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.