Determine Size From Specs?

After a few hours of adding borax I now have a pH of either 7.5 or 7.8, I'm not sure.
TA 110.
CYA between 50 and 60
and 0 chloring
Should I start adding bleach now or should I lower the pH?

edited. I take that back, the pH is fine, isn't it

How often should I be backwashing and adding DE?

Should I be using any more chlorine tablets that the pool service recommended we use, or will that raise the CYA. I personally haven't added any CYA yet.

Thanks,

You need to add chlorine and with a CYA of 60 you shouldn't use trichlor or dichlor. If what they gave you was Cal-Hypo then, if your CH isn't too high, then it's fine to use it to bring yoru FC to shock level. Since the CYA is between 50 & 60, put 60 in the Pool Calc and use it on the chlorine/cya chart.

Post a fullset of numbers as soon as you can and we'll consider that your starting numbers.
pH = 7.5
FC = 0
CC = 0
TA = 110
CH = ??
CYA = 60

Looks like we have everything except CH.

Just backwash and add DE when the pressure rises 6 to 10 psi.

I'm not sure what I did wrong I retested and came up with

FC 38
CC 3

I entered a target of 24 FC in pool calc and put in 6 jugs of bleach just like it said. was that too much?

the surface of the pool is getting full of gray matter.

is it easier to let the algae settle and then vacuum it out?

Thanks

Did you also enter your "Now" FC level of 17 and have the correct pool volume at the top?

6 - 184oz jugs would raise from 0 to 24 for a 22,000 gal pool.

ETA: You always need to input your current test results in the left column and then your target in the right column. And then it suggests what to add to reach those levels.

With 38 FC and 3 CC it'll come down quickly. Use the advice above about entering the numbers.

Leave the pump running the entire time you're shocking. You should brush the pool and that'll keep it stirred up so the filter will catch it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
hmmm that is odd, maybe your FC was not really 0 before the 6 jugs (these can only raise FC by ~24 for 22,000 gallon pool).

How long did you wait to test the first time after adding the bleach? ... could maybe explain the "low" 17 if it had not fully mixed, although not really explain how it got so high in the later test ... any chance you forgot to divide the # of drops by 2 in the second test?

Last night at 9 pm
FC 32
CC 3

This morning 7 am
FC 3
CC 1

I added 6 gallons of bleach. slightly too much.

9 am
FC 53
CC 0
pH 7.8
TA 130
CH 190 (initial color change was purple not red)
CYA 60

The only difference I really see now from the pool is that the algae I brushed off the wall has now settled to the bottom of the pool. Check the pics. not much difference.

How much longer do you think? My husband wants to give up and close the pool. Too expensive.

Attachments

• pool day 4.JPG
    pool day 4.JPG
    19.4 KB · Views: 27
Something is happening. Either the bleach is stronger than we think or the pool is smaller than you think. Or, a combination of the two. OR, there's some sort of testing error.

See if these are the steps your following.
1) Place 10 ml of pool water in the vial. Could you be using 25 ml instead?
2) Add a scoop of R-0870 powder.
3) Add R-0871 one drop at a time while swirling until the sample turns from pink to clear.
4) Multiply number of drops times .5 to get FC.
5) Add 5 drops of R-0003 to the same sample.
6) Add R-0871 one drop at a time while swirling until the sample turns from pink to clear.
7) Multiply number of drops times .5 to get CC.

What is the percentage on the bleach you're using? Can you check the bottle?

The water is moving (pumps running properly), correct?

Brushing couldn't hurt. I can see the bottom in the shallow end, was it always that clear?

ahhh... I see you may be using the 25ml level. That would explain all this very well.

EDIT: To answer your question, the grey stuff is dead algae. This is good. Looks like despite the wild test results, you're doing things correctly and hitting shock. That's why you're seeing dead algae. Tell hubby this. It IS working. Time for patience. Green prolly will be cloudy blue with white/grey particles all over the place tomorrow. An accurate CC result will help you know more.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.