How much do you backfill around above ground pool?

Jun 26, 2011
:wave: Our first pool was installed on Saturday and is full and ready to back fill the dirt and add the pebble rock. They had to cut into our uneven yard about 3 ft on one side of the pool. The GC sloped the area he had to cut into to keep up from having to build a retaining wall. He advised us to continue the gradual slope all the way to the pool (I think??) and then add our pebble rock. My husband and I are clueless about this and I'm not sure if we can do this.

Does anyone have any pointers, success stories or pics they can share? Thanks guys!

I have a similar situation. Check local laws. Where I live I was not able to backfill against the walls because the wall had to be 48" above ground for 2 or 3 ft. I have a 6" fence but that was not good enough in my county. Anyway I ran about 4" deep of pebbles about 2 or 3 ft out ontop of plastc with 4X4's framing it. Now where the 3" drop was I built a wall with 4x4 and sunk in 4x4's down 20" or so in concrete. My pool was put in last year, built the wall last week, plan is to drop a drain tube along the hill side, landscape fabric and then fill the big pile of left over dirt I have into it. We did the stones within 1 week after the pool was in, now we are trying to finish up, with the wall and a future deck.

Ours was on that much of a slope and we had to backfill it to just above ground level all around to prevent the sand from washing out underneath. I would think you would want to do the same.

Do yourselves a favor and pay to have the contractors backfill for you. My wife and I spend 2 days on shovels before giving up and paying the extra $200, and I still have not fully recovered.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.