Grilling Steaks --some myths dispelled

Starsky said:
I start with a nice prime grade ribeye steak cut 1 1/2 in and room temp

Starsky, I think you hit the nail on the head there. I think that no matter what you do with the meat once you have it, nothing is quite as important as the quality of the meat. I also believe that this is where most folks tend to make mistakes. Pay a little more for better quality and it will taste better in the end. There is a BIG difference in the meat bought from Wally World versus the meat you buy from the butcher shop or deli.

Starsky said:
Pre heat the oven to 500

lightly coat a cast iron...my brother says its gotta be cast iron skillet.. ;) and heat on high on the stove till it smokes..

season the meat to taste and sear in for 30 seconds each side

Place skillet with steak in the oven for 2 min, flip and leave for 2 minutes then remove

Let cool for 5 minutes with a tent foil over it..dont ask me why... and eat..

Should be Medium rare...

I'd think that would work pretty well. My standard grill method is to fire up all three burners and get the grill very hot, throw the steaks on and flip after about a minute, wait another minute, then turn the back burners way down and move the steaks away from the hot burner. They spend most of the time in what amounts to an oven. Your five minutes under the foil lets the juices redistribute.

snapped said:
Well I tried # 2 & 4 tonight and the steaks come out very tender and juicy. I substituted crown and coke for a bass ale and didnt seem to suffer any consequences :p

Now that's the kind of real-world data we need. :-D

257WbyMag said:
Starsky said:

Starsky, I think you hit the nail on the head there. I think that no matter what you do with the meat once you have it, nothing is quite as important as the quality of the meat. I also believe that this is where most folks tend to make mistakes. Pay a little more for better quality and it will taste better in the end. There is a BIG difference in the meat bought from Wally World versus the meat you buy from the butcher shop or deli.

Seconded here!!

I have bought, what looked like, absolutely beautiful strip steaks from BJ's. EVERYTIME, I have been disappointed and thought of the $1/lb I saved as the dumbest money ever saved!

If I skip the kid's 529 plan I could afford prime, alas Angus and Choice is the standard here.

19redwings said:
257WbyMag said:
Starsky said:

Seconded here!!

I have bought, what looked like, absolutely beautiful strip steaks from BJ's. EVERYTIME, I have been disappointed and thought of the $1/lb I saved as the dumbest money ever saved!

If I skip the kid's 529 plan I could afford prime, alas Angus and Choice is the standard here.

I grow my own. Good stuff. We got some steak from the grocery a few weeks back because we had a coupon for what seemed like a pretty good deal. Threw it on the grill for supper. The dog got a third of it.

JohnT said:
I grow my own. Good stuff. We got some steak from the grocery a few weeks back because we had a coupon for what seemed like a pretty good deal. Threw it on the grill for supper. The dog got a third of it.

Do you sell any, or is it all for personal use?

About 10 years ago I was a project manager installing a system in Montana. Went to a 'restaurant' in the middle of nowhere where they raised the cattle and served it. It was the best steak I ever had in my life!!

We usually sell about a half-dozen head a year for freezer beef. Could probably sell more but there's only so much time in the day to take care of them. Most people tell us it's the best meat they've ever had. Most of them have never had aged beef before, and they get spoiled pretty quickly. They'll run out of freezer beef, and call after trying a grocery store steak asking how long it'll be until we have more. :-D

I remember when we used to be able to buy prime at the grocery store. Those days are gone, but my DH placed an order with a stockyard in Chicago the other day. I also couldn't resist getting a few grill books since I'm an amateur, and my DH does *not* grill. I picked up Bobby Flay's book and another one I will likely refer to as my grilling bible, "Mastering the Grill, the Owner's Manual for Outdoor Cooking".

Here's those stockyard steaks getting some grill action last night. We started them here and moved them to the oven at 400F for about 15 min. They came out great, some med. and some med. rare. :goodjob:

I made creamed corn w/ jalapenos, mashed potatoes, mushrooms in wine and a salad to go with. Very yummy.

100_1013.jpg

Re:

waterbug said:
Interesting tips, I do use most of them with the exception of #5. I find the cooker to be placed in a more conducive frame of mind with the liberal application of dry white wine. :lol:

WHITE WINE WITH RED MEAT??? :scratch: :shaking2: I hadn't realized things have devolved so much in the Richmond area since I left :mrgreen:

Good to see you again Waterbug 8)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.