new pool estimate .....fair???

thanks great idea about walkinh thru back yard and making outline of pool, its raining today so that will be my tuesday project.......one question, after a builder gives a quote , is it like buying a car? can i negotiate price? when he gave me quote( the one we like the most) he said he had given me a discount allready.....how much should i suggest he comes down ? $500, $1000 or more?

once again thanks this is a great site

Everything is negotiable these days! I would tell him to come down $2000 and when he tells you no than say your going with someone else, see how fast he reacts. I'll bet he meets you in the middle of $2000.

I would think that offering to go to another builder would not faze a reputable PB as most of them are probably backed up right now anyway, and the wheeler dealer types will screw you right back out of the savings. :twisted:
Assuming you want to have a fair and honest relationship with your PB, I would ask what if there are any discounts or incentives to building your pool right now or in a few weeks. etc,..
Your PB is probably just another hard working person like you and me, treat them like you want to be treated.
However, if they prove to be dishonest, fire them ASAP. :whip:

(Spoken from experience on a commercial property, the second GC turned out to be great. I still give him all the business and recommendations I can.) :goodjob:

Best of luck,
John.

checho said:
he said he had given me a discount allready.....

Whoops, :sleep: I just noticed you tried the discount question....

He may be at his bottom dollar?

I just would not threaten to go to someone else unless you really have a good backup option.

A good PB will be worth every penny, but a bad one will cost you for the rest of the time you own the pool.

Just my .02

Keep us posted
John

rv4hess said:
checho said:
he said he had given me a discount allready.....

Whoops, :sleep: I just noticed you tried the discount question....

He may be at his bottom dollar?

I just would not threaten to go to someone else unless you really have a good backup option.

A good PB will be worth every penny, but a bad one will cost you for the rest of the time you own the pool.

Just my .02

Keep us posted
John

oh this is the guy im going with regardless if he gives me discount or not...recommended by couple of people that r building pools right now...allways answers phone right away,liked the fact they have a pool built in their office where they show u everything etc etc ..but i will ask ( wife will) if he can do better ..it wont hurt...

I think a better approach would be to let the builder know you are ready to work with him to bring the costs down as he has a lot of knowledge that you don't. Explain you are open to different ways of doing things to save money and that you have a commitment to quality. You don't want your guy thinking of you as that cheap ******* throughout the build, do you?

thanks great idea about walkinh thru back yard and making outline of pool, its raining today so that will be my tuesday project.......one question, after a builder gives a quote , is it like buying a car? can i negotiate price? when he gave me quote( the one we like the most) he said he had given me a discount allready.....how much should i suggest he comes down ? $500, $1000 or more?

once again thanks this is a great site

marty-i-think-we-are-back-to-the-old-thread.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.