Jacks magic purple stuff

ethany

LifeTime Supporter
May 23, 2009
Trenton NJ
I have a swg and last year I did a ascorbic acid treatment because of metal stains. I bought the purple stuff this year. It says on the bottle I need 2 quarts for start up and then 16 oz. a week for a 20000 gallon pool. Seems like a lot. Any way I could cut back? I would need tons of this stuff to just get through the summer.

It really depends on your metal levels. If I remember correctly the recommended dosage is for sequestering 1.0 ppm of metals in the water. The amount you actually require might be lower or higher. Sequestrant does get expensive. There are less expensive brands, though it takes some experimentation to find one that is both less expensive and just as effective.

Ethany

Take a look at the Blue Wave brand of Super Rust & Scale Remover. :wink:
It is an HEDP based sequestering agent at 1/3 the cost of Jack's purple stuff.

The MSDS lists only a proprietary blend; however, the shipping classification UN 3265 and (1-Hydroxyethylidene diphosphonic Acid)
Start-up dosage: 15 oz. per 15,000 gallons. Maintenance dosage: 5 oz. per 15,000 gallons.

4 quarts are around $35 and should last all Summer. :goodjob:

PSG

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.