kathyo

May 24, 2011
Farmers Branch, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I'm new to the BBB method. I just drained & refilled because my CYA levels were sky high (>200) thanks to Leslie's "help". This was only 18 months after draining/refilling because of high calcium (again, thanks Leslie's). I'm still learning the BBB method, but already feel more in control. But I'm having trouble getting the chlorine high enough and keeping it there. I test each evening around 6 and have been having to add acid (between 6-18 oz) and bleach (between 64-90 oz of 6%). The filter then runs until 7. By the morning, the FC levels are low again. Yesterday I added more in the morning, but by the afternoon it is low again. I know that Dallas is very hot & the sun is brutal, but wanted to make sure that I'm doing everything correctly. I plan on using up the Leslie's chlorine 3" tabs in a few weeks when we're on vacation and I can't be there to add bleach everyday. I don't mind adding a lot of bleach every day, but wanted to check. Thanks in advance for your help.

This mornings test:
FC = 1
CC = 0
pH = 7.8
TA = 90
CYA = 30
CH = 140

With CYA at 30 and a 21k gallon pool, I would expect you to use between two quarts and a gallon of 6% bleach per day, depending on how sunny it is. If you raise the CYA level just a little, say to 40 or 50, your bleach usage will go down a bit.

kathyo said:
I test each evening around 6 and have been having to add acid (between 6-18 oz) and bleach (between 64-90 oz of 6%). The filter then runs until 7. By the morning, the FC levels are low again. Yesterday I added more in the morning, but by the afternoon it is low again. This mornings test:
FC = 1
CC = 0
pH = 7.8
TA = 90
CYA = 30
CH = 140

If your FC is dropping overnight then you might have something using up your chlorine. You might want to perfrom the overnight fc test.
*EDIT* Here is the link on how to perform the overnight test.
pool-school/overnight_fc_test

Is the FAS-DPD test another test kit that I should buy? I have a Taylor K-2005, and don't see anything about FSD-DPD, so should I get a different kit? Does the K-2006 contain what I need to do the overnight fc test? thanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.