Can you use a check valve at the inlet?

Apr 22, 2011
Ohio
I see some people that use a union, and a ball valve at the skimmer and the inlet, to make it easier to winterize. Instead of a ball valve, could I use a check valve at the inlet? This would help prevent the water from coming back if there was a leak somewhere in the lines, yes? Or is this a bad idea?

You can use a check valve on the return line, or a valve. On the suction line you need to use a valve. Check valves tend to reduce the flow rate a little, so they make your system slightly less efficient, not a big deal but enough to cause most people to go with a valve.

JasonLion said:
You can use a check valve on the return line, or a valve. On the suction line you need to use a valve. Check valves tend to reduce the flow rate a little, so they make your system slightly less efficient, not a big deal but enough to cause most people to go with a valve.

Do you think, for an above ground pool, with an oversized pump, lol, and two solar panels, would the check valve reduce efficiency to be noticed? Am I right in the first place, to think a check valve on the return line, right by the pool, would be a small safety precaution if any of my hoses, motor, filter, were to leak?

Adding a check valve won't hurt anything, it's really only a disadvantage if you are very focused on performance.

A check valve will limit how far down the pool can drain if there is a leak near the pump.filter. Water will only be able to drain through the skimmer, and when the skimmer goes dry you will stop losing water. That isn't really a common problem, but if it does come up a check valve will help.

Thanks Jason. I just want to do a decent job plumbing what I "think" will be permanent. (Besides taking it all down for winter, lol) I am plumbing in a solar panel, but plan to get a second one, and will either build racks or do the roof, so obviously much of my plumbing will be temporary for now.

Would this be overkill? LOL

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/images/ch ... rkings.jpg

It's an internal pic of a Checkmate PVC Combination Ball and Check Valve.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.