TF-100 Test Kit and other questions

texasdad

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 10, 2011
DFW Metro
Have a new pool just filled a few weeks ago. I've been reading and learning lots from this website.

The poolbuilder provided me with test strips, but encouraged me to not use them. He wants me to bring a water sample in weekly and have the store test for me. Weekly isn't often enough for a new pool is it? Daily during the summer and heavy use?

The pool is 13k gallons gunite shallow play pool. 2 speed pump, cartridge filter, chlorine tab feeder, and Ozone system.

I want to get a test kit so I can test water without going to the store. I've read her that the tf-100 is the best. But does it come with the color coded tubes (like taylor does) to compare the water with. Or are the colors on sometime separate from the tubes?

Tomorrow (saturday) we are having about 10 families over all with young children. The pool is going to be full (and we all know what little kids do in the pool). Is there anything I should do today or tomorrow to the water before they come? Afterwards? If I add shock how long does it take for the chlorine level to return to normal for safe swimming?

Last question for now. What is the ideal chlorine level for my pool since I'm supplementing with the Ozone?

Welcome to TFP!

In the TF100 only one test requires comparing colors, the PH test. That test comes with a view tube with the color chart right on the tube. Most of the other tests involve adding drops until the color changes.

You need to check the FC and PH daily, especially in a freshly applied plaster pool it is critical to test the PH every day and keep it below 8.0 at all times. All of the other tests can be done weekly, and some of them can be done less often than that.

One to four hours before the crowd goes swimming, raise the FC level up to the high end of the normal range, then again after they leave raise the FC level up to the high end of the normal range. There shouldn't be any need to shock.

Welcome to the board. Definately read pool school to get a understanding on how everything works together to balance your pool. The TF100 test kit, which is probably the most popular, has specific instructions on how to do each test. You basically watch for color changes in water that are drastic enough that it's hard to get it wrong.

Before shocking, using the normal methods descibed on this site, you need to have more information about your water. If you can at least get pool store results, to give you some idea of what you are looking at, that will help us until you can get your test kit.

I'd make sure that the FC level is at the top of the recommended range for your CYA when they start and then raise it back up when they're done. That's really all you need to do.

All the tests in the TF-100 are color changing except the pH test and it's color matching. Color changing tests are easy to tell the difference. They go from blue to red, from pink to clear. there's no pink to darker pink or anything like that.

--- Jason beat me to it but we're saying the same thing --

-- Jason and Josh both beat me, I'm getting slow --

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.