Sand or Cartridge for pool with high metals?

May 13, 2009
Mn
I apologize for all the questions...

If we are going to be using a lot of sequestrant (Metal magic stuff) to pull the iron out of our water (3ppm) would we want to have a cartridge or sand filter? Also are there tests for metals, or do we just assume?

I'm just worried with backwashing a sand filter, each time we re-fill we are just adding more iron, to backwash it out and end up in an endless loop.

A cartridge filter, I am concerned that the cartridge will get plugged up with the metals. But at least we won't lose/add water with backwashing.

Thoughts? The pool store suggested using one of those filters that goes on the end of the hose to help pull out some iron. I thought if it is less than 500 gallons (how much do we use in backwashing???) that we could pull a hose from the house and use soft water, but my TA will be out of this world high...just know that from my fish tank. I can't adjust the PH for the life of me with our soft water.

Neither the sand filter or the cartridge filter can filter small enough to catch metal ions. I think that it would be easier to have a cartridge filter setup so you wouldn't have to continually add as much sequestrant as no water is lost to backwashing. Save money that way.

Reason I was asking is if it is well water I came across a YouTube video where they had high metal content from the well water and the water was a brown color no matter what they did. It wasn't until they replaced the cartridge filter with a sand filter were they able to keep it clear. Was thinking maybe it could help them in their case on choosing a filter if they were having similar problems.

We are on city water that is pulled from a well. I don't think they do much to treat it other than reducing some of the maganese. I just wondered if using sequestrate is going to pull the iron out better with cartridge or sand.

I just wondered if using sequestrate is going to pull the iron out better with cartridge or sand.
Neither the sand filter or the cartridge filter can filter small enough to catch metal ions.
A sequestrant keeps the metal in soluble form but neither filter nor the sequestrant removes it.....it is still in your pool and will take continued use of sequestrant to keep it from precipitating.

We have well water with metal content. I use a sequesterant and have a sand filter with no issues. Just appropriately use your sequesterant with fills and it should be fine

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.