CYA too low?

Bob47

May 22, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Last year was my first using BBB. It saved my summer after a dismal, swampy opening. My CYA was over 70 and I got it down to 50 last year. After a significant drain for the winter it is now at 30. Upon opening the pool Sunday and working on the bloom that was in there I'm at a good start. I have noticed, though, a real difference in the FC levels from last year and I suspect it's because of the CYA level reduction. Here are my numbers and a question:

FC=7.5
CC=0.5
TC=8.0
PH=7.5
TA=80
CH=60
CYA=30
Temp=84

Is my CYA OK? The FC number jumps much faster than when it was at 50. I understand that it should and I'm hoping to use less bleach this year as a result but I'm wondering if it should be higher and if so, how to increase it in a controlled manner. Also, Pool Calc is telling me that even though TA is right between the numbers I should add 25oz Baking Soda. I'm confused. Any advise? Thanks.

The Pool Calculator doesn't know what your target levels should be, it just takes whatever you happen to have entered in the Target column and tells you how to get there. Having TA at 80 is just fine.

I recommend raising CYA to 50, though leaving it at 30 is alright. You won't need to add as much chlorine if your raise the CYA level.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.