Benefits to the Speedstir for the Tf-100

I received my SpeedStir along with my TF-100 XL from tftestkits.net today. I was looking forward to running my first tests on our Intex 15x48 Easy Set we finished setting up on Sunday, but the SpeedStir didn't cooperat, even with fresh batteries. The stir bar just vibrated & hopped a couple times. I took another fairly strong magnet and ran the stir bar along it a few times which made a slight difference, but still not enough to get any stirring action. I shot an email off to Gayle, Customer Service Representative @ Taylor requesting a replacement stir bar. In case they give me the run-around, I ordered 3 Fisherbrand stir bars of eBay.

Fingers crossed.

-SAB

When I got mine it had a non-magnetic stir bar and it did the same thing. Taylor had me a new one in a couple of days. I'm confident they'll take care of you. Once you get it working you're gonna love it! I also bought extra stir bars but have never used them.

I am just wondering if the cylinder that it comes with is graduated slightly differently then the other test tubes. I would imagine that putting the stirring magnet in would displace some of the liquid inside the cylinder? Do you put your water in first and then add the magnet or do you add the water to the cylinder with the magnet already in there? Hope that made sense.

Bama Rambler said:
The stirbar equals about 3ml, so leaving it in would make your sample about 3 ml less than it should be.
I may be wrong about this (probably am), but that seems a little high to me...when I use 1 inch X 5/16 inch stir bars at work they are somewhere around 1.2 ml (which is what I thought these ones Taylor provides are). If I recall my vial went up to ~ 11.5 ml (it has a line there) from 10 when I first got my speedstir and did my volume experiment? I will check mine tonight.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: Benefits to the Speedster for the Tf-100

Whatrymes said:
The stirring is great but my favorite is the LED light.
The light turns off after 1 minute.
So that means you can use the thing as a timer when you test for iron, copper, CYA and phosphates, all tests that require waiting a certain amount of minutes.

I'm probably high on the 3 ml displacement. Either that or I was thinking of the star I have, but my point really was that the cyinders are graduated without accounting for the stirbar.
I also have some 3mm x 10mm that almost makes no difference.

Just got a speedstir drop shipped direct from Taylor. Looks like they've done away with the generic batteries I've read about. Mine came with Duracell's with an expiration date of 2018.

As soon as I think my warranty is up, I'm gonna take it apart and see if I can up the timer a bit. I think the one minute timeout is too short with my high TA supply water.

Oh, and I get a 1.5ml displacement for the bug.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.