Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: filling up pool

1. Back To Top    #1

filling up pool

Hello everyone, I have a question regarding water evaporation. When filling my pool with municipal water, say about 4'' I guess about 300 or so gallons, do I need to adjust my chlorine, ph and ta? Does adding that much water affect the chemistry of the pool? Should I add chlorine, say 2 cups, while I'm filling the pool? Thank you for your responses.
    KATHY

2. Back To Top    #2
    Yes and no. Any addition of water will affect the chemistry, but adding a small amount of water probably won't affect the chemistry enough to need to worry about it. Unless your fill water is fairly extreme in some way you can ignore it and simply test the water on your regular schedule.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    Need to know the dimensions of your pool and depth. If your pool averages 4 feet deep and you are adding 4" of water that is roughly 1/12 of your volume so it is about 8%. I live in Miami and our Municipal water has 2ppm CL, TA 60, CH 100 so I guess yours might be the same so it does not make a huge impact right away. I would test the next day and make adjustments as neccessary.

I also tested the PH of our rain water and it was 7.6 so it was not acidic as I thought. I have only tested it once and don't if rain PH varies from one day or season to another.
    20x40 24,000 gal IG plaster/CircuPool RJ45 SWG/2 skimmer/2sp 2.5hp Jandy Stealth/340sq ft cart filter/600sqftHeliocol Solar Panels/6ft semi circlr tanning ledge/25ft deep end bench/5ft sheer descent/2 lion head water features/1300sqft travertine paver/2 Colorlogic lights/Hayward Navigator/3step 2ft raised bond beam

4. Back To Top    #4

thank you for your replies
    KATHY