32 gallons of bleach!!??

flyingvranch

In The Industry
Mar 14, 2008
Huntsville, Texas
I have a new customer that has a 25000 gallon SWG in-ground vinyl pool that was a green swamp. I tested for FC and of course there was none due to a defective salt cell that is now replaced. Long story short, I could only attend to the pool once a day. So the first day I poured in 13 gallons of bleach and brought the cl reading up to around 31 or so hoping that the high intial FC would last till I could return in the morning. Today the water was better but still cloudy and just lightly green. The FC was back to about 3 or 4. It was going to be a hot full sun day so I poured in 14 gallons of bleach. I returned at noon and the FC was down to 10 so I poured in another 5 gallons of bleach. I have vigorously brushed the bottom each time that I add some more bleach.Thus so far I have a total of 32 freakin gallons of bleach in this pool and I still cannot see the bottom! Tomorrow morning I will return and bring another trailer load of bleach. Any thoughts or suggestions on all of this? I need all the help I can get on this one. Thanks in advance folks!

Yeah, Richard may be onto something there as far as checking into some higher concentration stuff. Not sure what's available there in Huntsville but you might be able to trek down to Conroe and find some 12.5%. I wanna say that there is a Leslie's on 105 just west of the interstate.

Was the pH okay prior to shocking? Best to get it to around 7.2 and then dump the bleach. That filter is running 24/7 right?

PH was 7.2 and cya is at 30. Filter is a Pentair DE filter which I have been running on recirc. the whole time as there was so much algae in the water it clogged after just a few minutes. Today I will clean it up and hopefully start it filtering again.I'm hoping for somewhat clearer water when I get there this morning. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Well you have to put it on filter to get the water clear... The dead algae have to get out of the pool somehow... and having killed them all its impolite to ask the algae to climb out on its own!

If possible, plan the stop as a late one in your day to add the chlorine closer to dark and minimize the amount sacrificed to the sun. spend a while there filtering and backwashing...

We had a similar problem in our pool several years ago when a bad storm threw lots of branches, leaves, and brush into the pool, the power was out (thus, no circulation nor chlorine from the SWCG) and we were not present for those days, so no liquid chlorine. Came back to a pool full of algae, couldn't see the bottom - our solution: added algaecide, liquid chlorine (but not 35 gallons!), brushed the bottom and sides and drained the pool down (to waste) to remove the dead algae and save the filter, then replaced with new clean water. Did the trick, but took about 3 days to get back to normal.

The local pool store will probably try to tell you it's phosphates that are making your chlorine inactive ... been there before. From what I've learned around here, DON'T LISTEN. Forget about Phosphates and just keep chlorinating until the pool starts holding overnight levels. The water will clear up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.