What's your current pool temp?

I don't have a link to the current configuration, sorry.

I can describe what I have--

My first build was a direct fired heater, where the heat exchanger was placed directly above the fire. This resulted in the need to constantly clean the creosote and ash from the tubes.

I did extensive research into rocket stove technology, and have modified that to my needs.

Now only a small amount of smoke reaches the exchanger, as 90% of the burn takes place in the horizontal and vertical sections of the stove. When it is working well, there is no smoke from the fire exiting the stack.

Heat output in the current configuration is estimated at 25,000 BTU/hour.

Over this fall/winter, I will be modifying it further to attempt to increase this output.

My heat exchanger is made from 3/4" copper tubing. Two headers feed 5 tubes about 6 feet in length folded into a serpentine shape. I am still using my original Intex 1000 gph pump to draw water from the pool and force it through the heater.

One of the modifications will be a better heat exchanger, using 1-1/2" copper headers, feeding 10 or more 1/2" laterals about 10' long, again bent into serpentine form. Right now, I don't have a high enough flow rate through enough surface area to wring as much heat as is available from the wood. When the new exchanger is installed, I'll be connecting it to the rest of the hard plumbing that I've been adding to my 15' x 4' Intex pool.

My normal wood source is used, broken pallets from local businesses, and any tree scrap from friends and neighbors. All free, except for the labor involved in hauling, cutting and splitting it up to usable sizes.

I will do my best to document my build as the modifications take place, so others can also build similar heaters.

We had our first really hot sunny day of the summer here in central MN...YAY... got up to 82 Finally! Sadly we are due for storms tonight as another cold front rolls in. Normally I like a mild summer but it figures since I finally splurged on my dream of having a pool.

Finally got my pool past the 84° barrier and up to 86°. I live in the desert of west Texas and by now we USUALLY have 17-21 days over 100°. However (for whatever reason) this year we have had less than 7 days over 100°. So be that as it may, today I enjoyed my pool immensely!!! nothing like a crystal clear Ool and warm weather. (there is no P in my Ool).

mysybuva.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We broke my thermometer while playing in the pool the other day. It got caught behind the steps and broke. :( BOOOOOOO!

The water was so mice today though! I would say around 76 degrees. We're getting nasty weather and I talked hubby into a nice swim while I prepared the pool for rain over the next few days!

It's been 100 outside for 15 days, pool won't get above 85, perfect! Wife likes it a couple degrees warmer (so she hardly ever gets in the pool), her loss. No solar cover and big oak tree is why it's not getting warmer. May supplement with 160' of solar just to boost it 5 degrees in the afternoon.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.