Does algaecide alter the Chlorine Levels?

skos

Aug 17, 2010
I searched but I could not find this answer.

Does algaecide alter the Chlorine Levels?

I am fighting an algae problem. I shocked the heck out of the pool and added algaecide. I also have Chlorine tabs in the floater.

I tested the water 24hr later and it shows little Chlorine. Does the weather have anything to do with it? It is in the high 70’s and cloudy if that helps.

Your chlorine most likely was consumed by the algae. Read "ABC's of Pool water chemistry" up in Pool School.

Additionally, don't purchase any more algaecide. It has little affect on killing algae......only at prevention. The Tabs are not helping you much, either. You need to shock the pool (read how in Pool School) with liquid chlorine, Cal Hypo, or di-chlor.

I would not go further in the shock process until I had a complete set of test results....preferably from your own testing but a pool store test can SOMETIMES be useful. That'll help us help you to clear the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.