In my quest for a new pump.....

cherylandco

LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2009
Just wanted to lead you to a website that is really informative about selecting a pump....

http://www.poolplaza.com/pool-pump-sizing-2.shtml

I found this and I think I really learned a lot!!!

They really have a lot of info about the pumps and you can look at pumps based on what you are looking for - above ground vs in ground, energy efficient, etc....

Haven't compared prices, but their information is winning me over! lol :goodjob:

There is all kinds of good information on that web page, but I fundamentally disagree with their approach for three reasons. First, they start right off recommending a pump capable of 2.5 to 3 turnovers per day, which is too much for a residential pool in my opinion and results in wasted electricity. Second, most people won't be able to follow through their entire procedure and get a result. They require a vacuum measurement from the suction side of the pump and very few people have the equipment to measure that. Without that measurement, their whole system fails to determine anything. Worse, many people will proceed without having a vacuum measurement and assume they can still use that chart, and get a significantly wrong result. Third, their system only works if you don't have a spa, or any fountains, waterfalls, deck jets, or other water features, which kinds of limits things.

Again, there is all kinds of good information there. I just wouldn't use that approach to determine which pump you need.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.