Leslies DE scoop weight

Bobba

May 7, 2011
Has anyone actually weighed a Leslies DE scoop (the blue one) with DE in it? It doesn't say how much it holds and their people sound like their guessing when asked. I do not have a small scale and taking a scoop of white powder to the Post Office to be weighed could be a bit too adventurous!

I just weighed mine with a digital scale. After zeroing the scale with an empty scoop, 1 loosely filled full scoop weighs 13.7 oz. If you pack it slightly by filling the scoop, tapping the bottom on a hard surface 8 or 10 times and carefully topping it off you can get 16.1 oz per scoop.

Gary

So it CAN be a 1 pound scoop! Thanks for going through the motions. I relize it doesn't have to be exact but for something so critical to the performance of ones filter, you would think that the scoop to DE thing wouldn't be so vague.

Leslie's teaches its employees that the blue DE scoop holds approximately .7 lbs of DE (11.2 ounces). They say one scoop per 5 square feet of filter area and this makes sense for precoating.

I just bought one of the blue scoops from Leslie's. Asked the guy working there how much it held and he said, "I assume it is just one scoop for the filter" :hammer: Have to be impressed with these guys. Anyway he called another store who said it was 0.7 lbs.

I decided to weigh it anyway with a 3 lb digital scale and found it held about 0.9 lbs if it was about level to the top with a little bit of shaking ... not really trying to pack it down.

I would not trust the 1 scoop per 5 sqft advice ... for my 60 sqft filter using their 0.7 lbs would give 8.4 lbs with my 0.9 lbs that would be 10.8 lbs which is a lot more than the 7.5 lbs recommended by Hayward.

I just bought a blue 1lb scoop and it says 1 scoop for every 7.5 sq ft of filter area? My filter says 5 pounds of DE and it is 25 square feet. I am guessing 3.5 scoops?

The filer is an EC-40 and online it says 4 pounds and mine says 5 pounds on my tank?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Best to weigh it if you can. Seems like the scoops are somewhere between 0.7 and 1 lb per scoop depending on how well you pack it.

So:
To get 4 lbs, would be 4 to 5.5 scoops.
To get 5 lbs, would be 5 to 7 scoops.

While I can't speak to the Leslie's employees knowledge on DE quantities; I would like to throw out there that these are the same people who told me that having a Nature2 mineral cartridge didn't have any impact on what I should keep my FC levels at. He suggested to keep it about 3.5, in fact :hammer: !

PMellin said:
While I can't speak to the Leslie's employees knowledge on DE quantities; I would like to throw out there that these are the same people who told me that having a Nature2 mineral cartridge didn't have any impact on what I should keep my FC levels at. He suggested to keep it about 3.5, in fact :hammer: !

Having a Nature 2 doesn't have any impact on the chlorine levels that one should maintain. The Nature 2 system does nothing more than add metals to the water, an unnecessary, expensive, and potentially damaging (stains and green hair) route to go. The N2 system is not a product that we endorse here on TFP due to the fact that it offers no benefit and creates problems instead of fixing them. The N2 is not a sanitizer. That is why you should maintain proper levels of chlorine according to your CYA level as suggested here on TFP.

Back to the OPs original question, one thing that you can do is use a inexpensive food scale to measure the weight of the specific volume that the scoop delivers. That way, you can multiply it out later with a good degree of accuracy when it comes time to add.

jblizzle said:
Best to weigh it if you can. Seems like the scoops are somewhere between 0.7 and 1 lb per scoop depending on how well you pack it.

So:
To get 4 lbs, would be 4 to 5.5 scoops.
To get 5 lbs, would be 5 to 7 scoops.
Thanks! one website that sells the blue scoops says 7 scoops for 5 lbs! I think I will stick to that and see where it goes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.