Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help on closing a "take down" pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Help on closing a "take down" pool

We have a put up & take down Sand N Sun pool we purchased at Wally World this summer. I've always used (past 2 years) chlorine tablets and ph plus and my pool has always looked great. Around the first of July I thought I had sand in my pool and much to my chagrin...it's alge. I vacuumed added a liquid alge fighter and for a week it was fine but it came back as fast as it went. I really want my pool to be clean, clean, clean before I take it down and put away for the winter, any suggestions? What is this BBB method I keep reading about? Jason, Pool Mom....HELP PLEASE.
    18x5 AG Sand N Sun Vinyl/Metal Frame, 7800 Gal, Changable Filter System.

2. Back To Top    #2
    The key is to get a good test kit. To shock properly you need to know your CYA level and be able to measure FC seperately from CC. Get a good test kit, the TF Test Kit is great see the link in my signature, and post your numbers and I am sure we can help you fix things up.

BBB stands for bleach, borax, and baking soda. It is symbolic of an approach to pool care that uses inexpensive chemicals that you can buy at the grocery store (as much as possible), don't put in anything you don't need, and spend just a couple of minutes every day taking care of your pool in order to save money and have a beautiful pool. You can find more information about BBB in the Stickies section of the site, see the link in the sub-heading of each page.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks. I use those dip strips so I'm not sure I can get you any numbers, can I?

4. Back To Top    #4
    If you don't have time, run over to WM or KM or Target and pick up one of their drops based kits. That will work fine until a good kit can be ordered.

My first suggestion is to get some bleach into that pool and run the filter for 24-36 hrs straight. One big jug to start, then while its working get to the store and buy a kit, then order a good kit.

When we used to have that type pool, we would always spray/clean the inside with bleach and a sponge before air drying, then fold sides in, roll up and put away. It was always a big job but I never had mold, mildew or algae when I opened in the spring.
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

5. Back To Top    #5

Do you mean regular bleach like Clorox? How many gallons of bleach should I add and how long after should I wait before I test the pool water? I knew between you and Jason that I would get some good advise. Thanks for responding so quickly.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Yes, regular household bleach. You want unscented bleach, sometimes called "original" scent. You can use my Pool Calculator, see the link in my signature, to calculate how much bleach to use.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks. I will go to WM on my lunch break and get the bleach and test kit. I assume that I should test the pool then use the pool calculator? I never realized how serious chemical pool maintenance was. Thanks for all your help Jason & Mom. My adoptive Mom passed away 2 days ago and one of my employees went into a diabetic sugar shock; I guess in the grand scheme of things this algee problem is nothing. Once again, I can't thank you all enough for the advice and support! Let me get through the next few days and I will let you know about how my pool is doing and will become a "lifer" of TFP.
    luvmypool/Kate

how do you all get your pool info on the bottom of your messages?

8. Back To Top    #8

You go into your PROFILE and there is a section where you can add your signature and then submit it for saving.
    18 ft.52" Round Atrium AG -7600 gallons, Sand Filter, Vinyl liner, Royal Entrance Steps, 80 lbs.solarsalt

9. Back To Top    #9

It must be about time for you to get your pool down. If you got your water clear you can take it down. Or add some water and bleach to a spray bottle and wipe the insides down and dry them well. Taking down our pool is a pain but we have continued to put it up year after year. Making sure everything is clean and very dry before putting it away is the key to having a pool worth putting up the next year. We store ours in a basment that has some air circulation. Good luck and sorry for your loss. Kimrst
    5 years 18' Intex Frame pool, July 2009 upgrade, 28ft rnd used Doughboy, 1hs Hayward Power Flow pump, Doughboy DE filter.TF test kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Okay, I picked up the HTH drop kit and wow my numbers and colors don't match anything. Here's what I got when I used the dip stick test.

Total Hardness 0--dark blue

Free Chlorine/Bromine 10/20--dark dark purple s/b light purple 2.4-3.6

PH 6.2 light orange s/b medium orange 7.2-7.5

Total Alkalinity 120 green-green s/b 80 light sage

Cyanuric Acid 20 light peach

The directions on on drop test kit is very limited so I compared the colors to the dip kit colors and you can see they are way off. I'm going to add a 96 oz jug of bleach and run my pump for several days to come, but I will test with the dip stick to see what changes. I run two business you would think I could figure out my pool chemicals. Maybe I'll change my name from luvmypool to pool idiot!