30 yr old Doughboy

Idaho

May 21, 2020
Have a 30 year old 32'x 16'x 48" Dougboy High Country/Tradewinds buttress oval. It is in great shape besides the liner needing to be replaced. Had a cow decide to try to walk across the solar blanket and it didn't end well for the liner. A replacement from a Dougboy dealer is over $700 where buying one from Liner World is $340. Cant find anyone in my area here in Idaho that is a dealer even though dougboys website shows a few but they don't deal with them anymore.

Any advice on liner brands? Are they all the same? It is an overlap style with the coping strips. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have 6 small kids stuck (stupid COVID) at home and the temp is rising.

Attachments

• 573-2221 High Country-Tradewinds oval.pdf
    393.6 KB · Views: 20
When my dad built the pool he dug a hole and recessed the pool then built a deck over the over dig. We are in the country on a farm and one of our cows gave us a good surprise.

Would this be a good one?

Would there be a better choice?

25 is good as is the uv treatment. That is just like mine as far as those features.

Double and triple check your size. Go out and measure your walls to make sure and go from there.

I love the design on that one! It will make pretty water!

When my dad built the pool he dug a hole and recessed the pool then built a deck over the over dig. We are in the country on a farm and one of our cows gave us a good surprise.

Would this be a good one?

Would there be a better choice?
Too bad you didn't have a security camera on the pool, that would have made great video!

When I measured it I got 34’ long by 17’- 5” wide. But my Dougboy info calls it a 32x16. I just figured there must be some give in the liners. Does that mean I need to buy the model specific liner from Dougboy?

I was thinking the same thing about having the incident on video. It would’ve been priceless.Or at least may be worth changing a liner

My old doughboy liner lasted 16 years. I'm pretty well convinced that doughboy liners are better than generic replacements. At least I tell myself that after spending 50% more on the doughboy, lol.

I just replaced an overlap style doughboy liner with a beaded liner. The price for the liner and the bead receiver was about the same as the doughboy overlap liner.

Pros:
No worries about the pool wall flopping around while you have the top rail and stiffeners off. You just remove a couple of sections of top rail and stiffener, put the bead receivers in place, replace the stiffener and rails, and move to the next section. You can do this outside the (empty) pool so you aren't messing your sand up.

Putting the new liner in is a snap (pun intended). You just get the liner pretty close to proper placement, then go around and push the bead into the receiver. No worries about getting the top of the liner pattern even with the top of the pool, and no worries about how much overlap you need to get the bottom seam in the right place.

The next time you need a new liner, you don't have to take the top rails and stiffeners off, you just cut out the old liner, pull the bead out of the receiver, then snap the new liner in.

Con:
There's a two inch or so gap between the top of the liner and the bottom of the top rails where you see the bead receivers. And you see the slight gap between bead receivers every three feet or so. It's not that noticeable, but it bugs my DIY OCD because it wasn't there before.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.