30' Saltwater 5000 AGP about to start construction: making progress but have some questions

Aug 7, 2018
Worcester, MA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool Universal40
We are scheduled to have an independent Pool Builder construct our 30' AGP in July. We are located in Massachusetts so will eventually have winterizing questions :).
After reading many posts in TFP, we have been purchasing equipment to get ready but some questions remain. Here's what we have so far:

30' Round Saltwater 5000 AGP (from Pool Factory) (21K gallons)
Waterway 150ft^2 Cartridge Filter
Waterway Pro-Line 2HP/2-speed Pump
Circupool Universal 40 SWG
AquaPro 1400 Heat Pump

Questions:
- The PB is planning to put all of the equipment on pavers. Should I be getting some sort of Equipment pad instead? Recommended source?
- Plumbing Layout/Shutoff/Diverter/Check valves: I've attached a picture of the anticipated plumbing layout based on info in the Heat Pump and SWG manuals. Questions:
** Is this all going to be 1.5" plumbing? Is Schedule 40 PVC the right material to use? I thought we'd be using flex hose but Pool Factory said that we needed hard PVC for the Heat Pump, so does that mean we need hard PVC for all of the plumbing?
** Do we need the Check Valve after the Heater for an SWG? What's a reliable Check Valve model #?
** Why do they show the Heat Pump in parallel with a bypass? Can we just install the Heat Pump inline between Filter and SWG?
** How many Shutoff/Diverter valves should we have and where? I'm thinking one on the pool outlet and one at the return in order to drain the equipment in the winter but are any other locations recommended? I've read here that the Pentair 263038 is good but they are hard to find in stock.
- Any other concerns about the equipment choices or plumbing layout? In some cases, I had to go with what was in stock and from retailers that I trusted, so had to make some compromises, but it may not be too late to return/exchange something if I've made any major mistakes.
- Anything else to be purchasing or thinking about at this time?

Thanks in advance for the help!
Sam

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-05-30 at 10.24.23 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-30 at 10.24.23 PM.png
    41.9 KB · Views: 13
  • Screen Shot 2021-05-30 at 10.26.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-30 at 10.26.25 PM.png
    16.9 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Questions:
- The PB is planning to put all of the equipment on pavers. Should I be getting some sort of Equipment pad instead? Recommended source?
I put mine on pavers over gravel, it works great but it is nicer to have a concrete pad.. the pad costs more so its up to you..
- Plumbing Layout/Shutoff/Diverter/Check valves: I've attached a picture of the anticipated plumbing layout based on info in the Heat Pump and SWG manuals. Questions:
** Is this all going to be 1.5" plumbing?
I have 2 inch on my 2 suctions side skimmer and vacuum port and 2 pressure side returns, 1.5 inch will also work.. it would be better to have 2 inch for suction side and pad and 1.5 inch for returns
Is Schedule 40 PVC the right material to use?
It is the better option and what you want
I thought we'd be using flex hose but Pool Factory said that we needed hard PVC for the Heat Pump, so does that mean we need hard PVC for all of the plumbing?
Flex hose can be used and it is easier but for the long term outcome and your benefit go with hard pipe.
** Do we need the Check Valve after the Heater for an SWG? What's a reliable Check Valve model #?
Yes but it is not a requirement like the puck container.. Polytec pools is a great place to get the check valves Jandy
** Why do they show the Heat Pump in parallel with a bypass?
That is the best way to plumb in a heater, thank your lucky stars you PB is doing it right as most do not..
Can we just install the Heat Pump inline between Filter and SWG?
Yes but what happens when the heater gets too much flow or your heater breaks down or you are not using the heater.. The heater will slow the flow of the water and add pressure to your plumbing, you never want to always have flow going through the heater unless you are using the heater..
** How many Shutoff/Diverter valves should we have and where?
I'm thinking one on the pool outlet and one at the return in order to drain the equipment in the winter but are any other locations recommended?
Depends on what you want and how you want to use the pool.. I have 2, 3 way valves now.. My new setup will have 10 Jandy neverlube valves, one on every single pipe.. Here is what I am doing on my new pool..
I've read here that the Pentair 263038 is good but they are hard to find in stock.
Those are the same as Jandy valves but I still like the Jandy Neverlube valves.. Polytec pools Jandy

1622440299622.png

1622440319896.png

1622440382920.png

- Any other concerns about the equipment choices or plumbing layout? In some cases, I had to go with what was in stock and from retailers that I trusted, so had to make some compromises, but it may not be too late to return/exchange something if I've made any major mistakes.
- Anything else to be purchasing or thinking about at this time?

About the only thing is your cartridge filter is small.. I have 15,000 gallons and have a 320 sq ft cart filter and only clean it once a year.. With that said you live in MA so you may only need to clean your filter 1 or 2 times a year.

I hope this helps :)

One note of importance, I'm not convinced the HP will work out for you. Per your local the shoulder season is almost as long as the season itself and the HP will be very slow to heat below an ambient of 70°. A better option is a NG or LP heater.

Thanks for the replies so far, very helpful!

Based on the above, I think I should at least be starting with:
- Two 2-way Diverters/Shutoffs (1 at pool skimmer output, 1 at pool return)
- One 3-way to put Heat Pump in parallel
- One check valve after Heat Pump
- Am I missing anything critical?

> it would be better to have 2 inch for suction side and pad and 1.5 inch for returns

Just so I'm clear, is "suction side" = "everything before the pump" and "return" = "everything after the pump"?

I'm still fuzzy on 1.5" vs. 2". If you have 1.5" on returns, does that put an upper limit on flow everywhere and if so, what's the point of the 2" suction side? I know my SWG has a 2" cell but it includes 2"->1.5" reducers so I guess it can be used with either. I'm not sure what size fittings are on the pump, filter and heat pump and haven't unpacked them yet so that might determine what we should be using? Ideally, where should we use 1.5" and where should we use 2" and why?

> filter is small

Yeah, I was trying to find a matched pair filter+2-speed pump from a reliable retailer and ended up with this. Is it worth trying to return this and get something bigger? Pool Factory has a 200 ft^2 AquaPro but they seem to be the only ones that sell the replacement cartridge so that made me hesitate. I'd consider a variable speed but couldn't find any pump/filter combos with a vsp. I was reluctant to get pump/filter from separate manufacturers in case they weren't well matched to each other although I'm sure that can be done if I was more knowledgeable. If anyone has any specific recommendations of pump/filter combos in stock, let me know.

> heat pump

Another tough decision. I was getting crazy $$$ quotes for running a gas line, and we were thinking that we might someday go solar and also wanted something quiet so an electric heat pump seemed like the best compromise. I realize that it may take a few days to reach temp and we might have to run it a lot during cooler temps but according to their sizing calculator, it should work. It's a lot bigger than I expected (35"x35"x43", 300 lbs), so my PB is hesitating like he will have trouble moving it, but hopefully that won't be an issue.

Thanks again for all the help!

You can and I did do all 2 inch, no issue at all just giving you options... Also no issue with the smaller filter, just letting you know you "may" have to clean it 2 times a year.. I would get another set of filters that way you can just exchange them and clean them at a later time :)

Awesome, thanks! So for the benefit of other newcomers like me, I found out that the Pool Skimmer/Return, Pump and Filter are all 1.5" connections, and the Heat Pump and SWG in my case are both 2" connections (the SWG apparently comes with 1.5" reducers if needed). Talking to the Pool Factory guy, sounded like this is typical but I'm sure there are many other configurations. I found a new PB who was available sooner and seemed much more knowledgeable about doing the plumbing and wasn't afraid of installing the heavy Heat Pump. So it sounds like I could either (1) use reducers on the Heat Pump and SWG and use 1.5" for everything or (2) 1.5" for Skimmer/Pump/Filter, then go to 2" for Heat Pump/SWG, and back to 1.5" for the return, or (3) Convert everything to 2". The PB recommended Option #1 and seems like Option #1 (1.5") would be easiest (and probably cheapest), unless it would somehow would limit flow or have some other significant disadvantage. I already have the reducers that came with the SWG so should just need another couple reducers for the Heat Pump.

For your setup 1.5 inch won't hurt you.. If it was an inground and you had 200 feet of pipe then it would matter... I did option 2... 1.5 at the pool and 2 inch at the pad

Thanks, really appreciate the help! Btw, my Jandy valves just arrived from Polytec per the earlier recommendation in this thread. One strange thing: the 3-way and one of the 2-ways seem to have detents as I turn the handle. However, the other 2-way turns completely smoothly with no detents. Both 2-ways are marked “Model 4724”. They both seem to visibly shut off the opening. Is one of these defective or did Jandy change the design recently or ? Do other people have detents or smooth operation on their Jandy valves?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I do not know.. I just checked all of mine.. When you say detents are you talking little bumps as you turn it.. If you loosen the knob on top it will go away :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.