Raleigh NC
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
I'm uncertain if I can leave our pool mostly unattended for 3 weeks in April. The average high temp should be in the low 70s and avg low high 40s. By then the IC60 will be running again so chlorine levels aren't a concern but rising PH is the problem. I'm considering using trichlor pucks in a floater to keep PH in check and the added CYA would be a benefit to prepare for the summer. I can have someone skim and add pucks once a week to a floater and add water if necessary. Also wondering if it might be best to heavily dose the pool to SLAM level prior to leaving to lessen the added PH rise caused by the IC60. Maybe keep the IC60 off or on for just for a minimal amount of CHL generation.

Should I try to get TA down to about 70 or so prior to leaving to help fight PH rise? It usually runs about 80. Borates have fallen to 30 and by April will likely be 20. I'm not planning on adding Borates this year.

Or, is 3 weeks just too long to go without hiring a pool boy, assuming I can find someone for just this one time need.

What might be a good strategy?
Thanks.

Also wondering if it might be best to heavily dose the pool to SLAM level prior to leaving to lessen the added PH rise caused by the IC60. Maybe keep the IC60 off or on for just for a minimal amount of CHL generation.

Your main concerns are low water levels, skimmers getting clogged and FC (Free chlorine) If you have someone that can check skimmers and water level, then that part is covered (every 3-4 days would be better than a week interval).

I wouldn't worry much about pH, for a short period of time, high pH is not going to be a problem. You can correct when you return.

The amount of pH rise due to your SWCG is negligible. High TA and low pH cause pH rise. Reducing your TA to 60-70 would help with pH rise (see below).

What I WOULD do is make sure that your CYA levels are up to your normal (70?), and make sure that your IC-60 creates as much or slightly more FC daily than the pool needs. Do you know how much run time and output % you need for the time of the year you are away? Making enough FC is the #1 thing you can do to not have a swamp when you come back. Dial in your runtime and output% the week before you leave so your FC is steady, then raise your output a few percent when you leave.

Also, don't forget to backwash the filter before you leave.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions! That's pretty much what I was thinking although I thought the SWG contributed more than an negligible amount to PH rise. I'm familiar with the Lower Total Alkalinity process as I've done it in past.

I thought the SWG contributed more than an negligible amount to PH rise

So our 3 week vacation is almost here and I have things dialed in pretty well except for pollen and backwashing. What would be a good strategy for minimizing the amount of pollen the filter traps and reducing the need for backwashing? I don't have a cover. How should the skimmer/main drain valve be set to reduce the amount of pollen going into the filter? I might be able to have someone backwash a few times while we're gone but I'm holding out on this option.

I wouldn't worry about backwashing. You want the pollen to go to the filter.... you can backwash when you return.
I personally have both my skimmer and drains wide open as they're separate. Many will put the majority of suction to the skimmer with a smaller amount to the drain. Don't turn the drain closed entirely though as if anything interferes with the skimmer you'll still have water going to the pump.

Maddie :flower:

Thanks Maddie. I normally keep suction mainly to skimmers all year round.
I can’t let backwashing go entirely as the pollen in the filter eventually reduces flow rate and my SWG shuts down.

• Clean the filter and any skimmer/filter baskets right before you leave.
  • Allow more water to flow thru the main drain in case the skimmer clogs up.
  • Increase the speed of your VS pump a few hundred RPMs higher to account for the filter capturing the extra pollen. This should allow the SWG to have proper flow during your absence.
  • Enjoy your vacation and deal with any issues on your return.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks @proavia. I'm having the skimmers cleaned in our absence so they're not a problem. In that case would you still direct more water to the main drains? We have a friend nearby that shuts off their skimmers when they go away for a week or more during pollen season. Their theory is to let the pollen accumulate on the bottom of the pool then deal with it when they return. They said it works fine for them.
I recently tested directing more suction to the drains with pollen visibly in and on the water and on the pool floor. Later that night I checked the flow and found my SWG off with no flow. I quickly backwashed the filter and it was very dirty. That fixed the problem and the pool was much cleaner. So, I'm concerned that directing more water to the main drains will actually increase the pollen in the filter requiring a backflush while we're away.
Thoughts?

How high does the filter pressure get when the SWG shows low flow?
Do you have a heater bypass?
What RPM are you running the pump at?

Are you planning on taking the cleaner out of the pool until your return?

Pollen can quickly clog a skimmer basket. So having the main drain at least partially open should alleviate the filter issue.

@proavia, I don't remember the exact pressure level when the SWG had low flow the other night but I think it was in the 15 psi range. Normally I back flush much sooner than but this unexpectedly occurred at about 10PM.

Normal filter clean operating pressure is 5 psi @1470 rpm, 24-25gpm. I run this 24x7 with small rpm increases as needed until next backwash.
No heater bypass.
I'm not taking out the pool vacuum as I have someone to empty the bag.

Chances are you will need to run the pump at a higher rpm in your absence so the SWG continues to work.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.