3" Sustain chlorine pucks. To use or not use.

Julie P.

Jun 8, 2020
Maryland
So if I follow your method, do I put anything in my skimmers? Or am I to use just a weekly dose of bleach? I have an inground plaster pool in Maryland. I am having trouble getting my chlorine levels to stay up. I run my de filter 10 hours during the day mostly.

I have been using Sustain 3" chlorine pucks sine last year and Smack It for shock. I am having trouble with my chlorine level staying up. Last year the only way I got it up was to start using a lot of bleach. By following your method, do I use anything in my skimmers? Or do I just use bleach weekly? And Borax for the PH. I have a plaster inground pool in Maryland.

I am using a Taylor test kit to test my pool.

Welcome to TFP!

You’ll use bleach daily by pouring it in. Nothing in the skimmers. Most people’s pH rises and they need muriatic acid, also poured in.

If I were to use pucks in skimmers, is there a brand better then others? I was looking at the In The Swim tablets due to cost. But I am unsure whether this is a good idea or not. With the Covid stuff going on currently its been difficult finding bleach.

Pools usually consume 2-4 PPM of chlorine per day. So that would be 2 quarts and 2 cups of 10% chlorine. I say 10% because that is what Pool Essentials liquid chlorine is that Walmart and Lowe's sell. You'll want to get up to speed using PoolMath. It's our own in-house app that calculates everything you need based on your pool's specifics. I just used it on a test pool setup and I changed it to be 16K gallons for yours. In the app, in order to save your test logs, you'll need to subscribe. $7/yr. Though the calculations themselves are in the free version.

Which Taylor test kit do you have?

Can you post up a set of test results in the following format. There are frequently things we can see that you may not be asking out from the numbers.

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

Welcome to the forum!
You should review what TFPC is all about.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Pucks in the skimmer can cause other issues for you (very common). There are two types of pucks, though the brand of each doesn't make any difference. Sustain tabs are Cal-Hypo. They contain chlorine and it is bound to calcium. The other type is Trichlor, which contains chlorine bound to CYA. Here's good (i.e. essential) reading. ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pools usually consume 2-4 PPM of chlorine per day. So that would be 2 quarts and 2 cups of 10% chlorine. I say 10% because that is what Pool Essentials liquid chlorine is that Walmart and Lowe's sell. You'll want to get up to speed using PoolMath. It's our own in-house app that calculates everything you need based on your pool's specifics. I just used it on a test pool setup and I changed it to be 16K gallons for yours. In the app, in order to save your test logs, you'll need to subscribe. $7/yr. Though the calculations themselves are in the free version.

Can you post up a set of test results in the following format. There are frequently things we can see that you may not be asking out from the numbers.

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
Problem is I can't find anything in the stores around me. Everyone is sold out of liquid chlorine, bleach, borax etc.

So I'm left to use pool store products at the moment.

I get slightly different readings between my test kits.
Taylor complete k-2005 and k-1004

FC 1-2
CC
pH 7.2
TA 130
CH one of my test liquids is bad

CYA I'm out of test liquid

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.