3 Inch Pipe

I came across this video looking up on how/why to paint pool pvc pipe.

In the video link below the guy talks about how a 3" pipe between the pump and the filter makes the pump quite. Does that short amount of 3" really improve it that much? Also it is reduced back to 2" inch before it enters the filter. Thoughts on this?

Why paint swimming pool PVC? - YouTube

We are required to paint PVC pipe works on the work I do. Its not really required for any other reason than the operators of our systems are incapable of following a simple pipe circuit.

Does it improve PVC life? Yes outdoors in full sun in AU we will get perhaps 15-20 years life from unpainted PVC, painted will last better.

The 3 inch pipe may in fact make the 'pump' sound quieter. This most likely isn't the pump, its more likely the water noise created by the water passing through the 2 inch pipe. A short run of 3 inch will not make a significant difference especially plumbed to a 2 inch connection...except, and of course there is an exception if the pump, filter and balance of the pool reticulation is plumbed in this and larger size pipe works. Then the 3 inch becomes worthwhile even with a 2 inch connection.

Lots of rules of thumbs in here. Just trying to give a high level dusting of this topic.

kddavis,

That article more or less backs up my thinking that painting pvc pipe is unnecessary. It certainly looks nice when painted but the effect that UV has on "impact resistance" appears to be unmeasurable and has no affect whatsoever on pressure capability.

Did I paint mine? Yes...although very little was exposed to direct sun. Was it aesthetically pleasing? Absolutely!

Do I expect to get extra longevity and better performance overall having painted it? No.

Is there some documentation somewhere that backs that up?

Not quite documented evidence.....:mrgreen: but...

I have a long length of scrap PVC storm water down pipe (not pressure pipe) that has been sitting on the ground behind my shed with a section of it in full sun for more than 10 Yrs I think.

I went to throw it out the other day and as I picked it up I noted that it cracked very easily as it had become quite brittle in the area which was exposed to UV. A section of the pipe that was predominately out of the sun and mainly sitting in shade was still OK.

Note that this pipe being for storm water use is much thinner than schedule 40 (Class 12) pressure pipe, so the walls are already quite thin which led to it cracking easily due to it becoming brittle.

Bit more of an interesting read on whether PVC pipes require painting or not: https://www.pipa.com.au/sites/default/files/document/attachment/tn006.pdf

kddavis,

That article more or less backs up my thinking that painting pvc pipe is unnecessary. It certainly looks nice when painted but the effect that UV has on "impact resistance" appears to be unmeasurable and has no affect whatsoever on pressure capability.

Did I paint mine? Yes...although very little was exposed to direct sun. Was it aesthetically pleasing? Absolutely!

Do I expect to get extra longevity and better performance overall having painted it? No.

I used to curse certain builders, for painting the face plumbing, only because it would slow me down to remove the paint when making repairs or enhancements.

I have seen no leeks from UV exposure.

From a service perspective-

I have certainly noticed old painted pvc, is easier to cut with pipe sheers & saw than sun baked pvc.
The sun baked pvc feels quite brittle & cracks randomly with the pipe sheers & the painted cuts like a new pipe.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ishonda,

That's virtually the same report as kadavis listed above.

There are thousands of pics on this forum of pvc pipe exposed to the Sun for years......none turned black in three months.

Ishonda,

That's virtually the same report as kadavis listed above.

There are thousands of pics on this forum of pvc pipe exposed to the Sun for years......none turned black in three months.

here is another article that says it can turn black, maybe is Australia the PVC is made without much or no titanium dioxide, or might have impurities in it to cause discoloring quicker.

The Effect of Sunlight Exposure on PVC Pipe, Conduit, and Fittings | Heritage Plastics | PVC Conduit | Electrical and Plumbing

but your right, the only way I would know how it would turn black in three months is to paint it.

here is another article that says it can turn black, maybe is Australia the PVC is made without much or no titanium dioxide, or might have impurities in it to cause discoloring quicker.

The Effect of Sunlight Exposure on PVC Pipe, Conduit, and Fittings | Heritage Plastics | PVC Conduit | Electrical and Plumbing

but your right, the only way I would know how it would turn black in three months is to paint it.

No its not lack of TiO2.

All you need to do is put the pipe outside the shed, facing north, and bend down into the concrete. As long as the shed is painted white and the concrete is underneath it, it will do it. I will get some photos when I am back in the office next. I couldn't believe it either. I don't normally leave PVC unpainted so don't have the issue. This came up as a client had a pool builder do the work and he didn't paint the pipe. Burnt in 3 months.

My unpainted pvc has been in the Texas sun since 2012. Up to 110 degrees (43+c) in summer, lots of days over 100 every summer. It is still completely white. Somebody somewhere does not know how to make PVC. I'd find a new source.

Reactions: mikes112
Bit more of an interesting read on whether PVC pipes require painting or not: https://www.pipa.com.au/sites/default/files/document/attachment/tn006.pdf

It's a good read being Australia specific study.

They say "There is no evidence to suggest the service life of exposed PVC pressure pipes has benefited from painting."

And their final conclusion: "The PVC pressure pipes and fittings made to the relevant AS/NZS Standards and containing not less than 1.5phr of TiO2 do not need to be painted unless painting is required for aesthetic reasons."

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.